Author Topic: Boston Butt and Brisket Smoked at the same Time?  (Read 9731 times)

Elliottbte

Boston Butt and Brisket Smoked at the same Time?
« on: June 15, 2015, 10:14:46 AM »
I'm having some company over and couldn't decide between smoking pork and beef, and I only have time to do one smoke.  Is there any reason not to do a single smoke with the Butt on the lower shelf and a brisket above? I always use DM's brine and my cooking time per pound for both has been roughly 1.5 hrs/lb, and I use a Maverick to monitor up to two meat temps.  I would use a combination of Apple/Hickory/Pecan in equal proportions.

Any reason why not to do this?  Ideas for how to do best?

Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Boston Butt and Brisket Smoked at the same Time?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 10:43:19 AM »
Brad, no reason at all not to do it. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 12:12:32 PM »
I see no problems, as long as they both fit.   While they likely will require about the same time, you might want to probe them separately to monitor ITs.   Let us know how you make out.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Elliottbte

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 12:58:07 PM »
I see no problems, as long as they both fit.   While they likely will require about the same time, you might want to probe them separately to monitor ITs.   Let us know how you make out.
Thanks.  I hope to find a 5lb Bone In Butt and same for Brisket.  If anything, I will get a Butt just a bit bigger than the brisket as it will be closer to the burner and I find the brisket takes a bit longer to smoke per pound.  My local Publix store is really good about letting me have just a portion of a larger cryovac brisket flat.  I get the thicker end which makes it easier to smoke.   
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 06:16:15 PM »
I like your plan!   Good luck, keep us posted on the results!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 08:35:07 PM »
Sounds like a plan, Brad!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Elliottbte

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
I will never really understand the mystery of smoking meats I don't think.  I am 3 hours into a 225 degree (monitored temp) smoke of a 5.25lb Boston Butt and a 4.75 Brisket.  The Brisket is above the Butt in the #1.  The Brisket temp is 185 and the Butt is 176 ..... only 3 hours in !!  Was thinking it would be 6-7 hours.  Despite my best instincts, I opened the #1, and checked the temps of both, repositioning and trying a couple spots.  No real change so these guys are Smokin Fast !!!

I've turned the temp setting down to 200 to try to slow things down a bit, but it looks like I'll have these two chunks of meat out soon.  I hope the double foil wrap and cooler will keep them good until dinner 6 hours later when company arrives.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
That does sound a bit quick, but have you reached a stall at all?   Perhaps the stall is happening now and the temps will remain the same for an hour or two.    If you are stalling now, you might want to move your box temp back to 225.    For the size meat that you have, I would have estimated 7 to 7.5 hours total time.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Elliottbte

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 12:50:21 PM »
That does sound a bit quick, but have you reached a stall at all?   Perhaps the stall is happening now and the temps will remain the same for an hour or two.    If you are stalling now, you might want to move your box temp back to 225.    For the size meat that you have, I would have estimated 7 to 7.5 hours total time.

Nope, neither stalled.  I have done at least 6 smokes since I got the #1 at Christmas and never had this happen before.  And it's happening on both meats.  Now, it is really hot in Chattanooga but I don't see where that matters given the thermostat on the #1 and I have monitored the temp and it never got above 225. It is now 45 mins since I turned down to 200.  Both meats are now about 179.  I think I will turn it up to 215 on the setting and see what happens.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 12:57:36 PM »
Interesting!   You may be in a stall now, but it is odd also that your one meat previously at 185 is now down to 179?   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Elliottbte

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 02:06:29 PM »
Interesting!   You may be in a stall now, but it is odd also that your one meat previously at 185 is now down to 179?
Definitely in a stall now at 181.  Feeling better about things.   But with my luck it will now stay there too long.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 02:42:55 PM »
That sounds about right ... you may want to bring your temp back up to 225, or even 235.   Good luck!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Elliottbte

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 09:15:25 AM »

I'm a bit delayed getting back on how things went, but it came out great.  Both Butt and Brisket got to the appropriate temps at the same time.  The 50/50 combination of apple and hickory worked well for both. 
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 07:22:49 PM »
Good to hear, Brad!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mizzoufan

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 11:40:35 AM »
I think we all have experience that 'race to stall' cook once.  My first brisket ran to 176 in record time and then sat there for about 4 hours.  I was getting scared watching it climb that quickly and created a HELP!! post, but all was well in the end.  I truly have embraced the no worries, be lazy BBQ approach and don't even think about the smoker til my maverick starts beeping anymore.
Steven from KCMO