Author Topic: Try it you'll like it  (Read 13713 times)

drains

Try it you'll like it
« on: June 14, 2015, 07:08:24 PM »
Recently received an 11.5 ounce bottle of John Henry East Texas Pecan Rub as a gift and all I can say is where have you been all of my life! Smokey sweet flavor with a hint of pepper as finishing touch. I look foreword to many tastey ribs and butts and whatever else I can find to use it on. Amazon stocks it and many other rubs and sauces from John Henry.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Try it you'll like it
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 08:40:27 PM »
It will be on the list.  The "star" on your helmet thinks its a hometown favorite.

Found on amazon, said that people who buy this also buy the one that is my goto. 

http://www.oakridgebbq.com/

Always figured they were direct web site, but I guess everyone is on amazon.com now

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 09:12:49 PM »
Thanks Dale and John. I'm always looking for new rubs to try.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

drains

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 09:20:02 PM »
Man its gotten to where I can't walk past the darn bottle without sticking my finger in it for a taste. I was putting it on fries yesterday. Hmmmm I wonder if there's any ice cream in the fridge.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:04:42 PM »
Man its gotten to where I can't walk past the darn bottle without sticking my finger in it for a taste. I was putting it on fries yesterday. Hmmmm I wonder if there's any ice cream in the fridge.

You know that's the sign of a "winner!"
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Grampy

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 12:07:08 PM »

Dale, you convinced me to give this one a try. I just ordered me a bottle today!
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 01:22:20 PM »
I can get this locally at the K.C. BBQ store. Looks like he has others beside the pecan rub. Their cost is $9.00 per 15 oz bottle. I might like to try the sweet maple rub or his wild cherry chipotle rub. Thanks for the info...
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

elkins20

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 04:35:50 PM »
Hey John,
     Quick question, when you tasted this rub on your finger. Did it have an overpowering salty taste? I just receive a package of Texas BBQ original rub and it tasted like I was eat pure salt. I purchased their bbq gloves and did not have enough in my cart. Had I know what I know now would have ordered 2 pairs of gloves. But, will try it on something first. And if you say the pecan rub is not really salty am heading out to get a bottle of that along with John Henry's Wild Cherry Chipotle Rub 15 oz. I think the cherry would be good on pork. Thanks again for your answer....
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

elkins20

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 04:37:29 PM »
I am really sorry about calling you John. Not sure what was going thru the pea brain Dale. I actually was thinking about John Henry's rubs.

drains

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 09:29:23 PM »
I am really sorry about calling you John. Not sure what was going thru the pea brain Dale. I actually was thinking about John Henry's rubs.

No problem at all.  I taste a smokey sweetness followed by a really pleasant taste of pepper. I have generally made rubs in the past trying to achieve this very flavor with no success. I actually don't taste salt at all though I'm sure it's there. Ive used it on a couple of butts and plan to use it on a brisket and some spares tomorrow and Saturday.  Now if I can just keep my dang finger out of the jar. Happy smokin!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

drains

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 09:47:41 PM »
I can get this locally at the K.C. BBQ store. Looks like he has others beside the pecan rub. Their cost is $9.00 per 15 oz bottle. I might like to try the sweet maple rub or his wild cherry chipotle rub. Thanks for the info...

That's great! I found only one place locally and its 20 miles away. So I call and ask about the pecan rub and she says she has one 6 oz bottle and that they stay sold out. Some place called Heart of Texas. Probably better off just ordering off Amazon.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

elkins20

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 10:47:18 PM »
Hey Dale, Thanks for the info, the bbq store from me is about 10 or 15 miles. But, will take the bike for a ride. I will let you know about the Cherry rub also.

Grampy

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 12:24:44 PM »
Dale, I got my John Henry's Pecan Rub in today. I bought the big Texas Size 26 oz bottle. I plan on trying it out on 3 racks of baby backs for Fathers Day. Can't wait to try it out.

Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

drains

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 01:08:10 PM »
Great! I really want to hear other opinions on John Henry pecan rub. Everyone's taste buds are different and you may pick up flavors I didn't. Be sure to get pics and share your thoughts with us. Happy smokin!

Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Grampy

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 04:46:35 PM »
Dale, The pecan rub definitely passes the finger test. The sweet hits you as soon as you taste it then the warm pepper flavor hits you on the back end. I'm a little concerned with it possibly clumping up because it seems to have a lot of sugar in it. I like the taste of it by itself and think it will taste great on some baby backs.
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!