Author Topic: Chuck Roast for Burnt Ends  (Read 14215 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Chuck Roast for Burnt Ends
« on: June 13, 2015, 03:11:48 PM »
Picked up a 2-pack of chuck roasts from Sam's today (7.5 lbs total weight).  Today, I injected them with a new Tony Checherie's "Honey Bacon & BBQ" injectable marinade.  Gave them a rub with Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning (my favorite on brisket & beef in-general), then wrapped in plastic for an overnight rest in the fridge - "Happy time!"

I plan on smoking @ 225 with hickory until they hit 195, then wrap/rest, just like a brisket.

They will then be cubed, and re-smoked as burnt ends, using this method:

Brisket Burnt Ends

I'll smoke the roasts early, then let them cool before cutting (makes it easier), then use mesquite for the burnt ends.

Updates to follow!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Chuck Roast for Burnt Ends
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 03:16:33 PM »
Tony, those look like some real nice chucks. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 03:29:14 PM »
Hope so, Dave!  They're cut a little thinner than normal, for Sam's, but should work well for ends.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

BBQ4YO

• Smokin-It #1
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 05:10:38 PM »
I'm @ work now and headed to Sam's after for some "chuck"......... burnt ends are the plan for tomorrow
Thanks..............
Isaac from Fresno CA
Smoker Model #1
Original Kettle 18"
Maverick 732

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 08:47:31 PM »
I'm @ work now and headed to Sam's after for some "chuck"......... burnt ends are the plan for tomorrow
Thanks..............

Way to go, Isaac!  They're quite a "meat candy" treat!  They're best with brisket point, but the chuck isn't bad.
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 12:27:21 PM »
Wasn't able to get these smoked last weekend, so I froze the prep'd roasts, and thawed them for today.  In the smoker this morning, with 6 oz of hickory.  Currently stalled at 175!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 06:46:06 PM »
Finally done!  The chuck roasts took 7 hours to hit 195 (not bad).  Next time, for burnt ends, I'm pulling at 185, since they're finish cooking as cubes).  1 hour rest in foil before cubing.

Once the roasts cooled a bit (1 hour), they were cubed.  As normal, a put them in a big bowl and coated with honey, my St Louis BBQ sauce, and rub (Memphis BBQ Company, this time).  Then, back in the smoker at 240 for 1.5 hours (2 oz mesquite).

The results were great.  While brisket point is ideal for burnt ends, the chuck is not a bad substitute!
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 11:03:28 PM »
Hey Tony, the burnt ends look really good. Curious is that a home grown tomato in the photo? Just wondering if the tomatoes in your neck of the woods is ready yet. I have green ones and should pull some maybe the second week of July...
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 12:51:02 PM »
Tony,

They look excellent, I have book marked this page so I can make them next time we have a party.

Greg

shomesmoke

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 04:17:58 PM »
Looks good Tony, I can see a "chuckie" being cubed in the near future!
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 07:33:57 PM »
Thanks all!  Those are farmer's market local tomatoes, Bill.  We didn't plant a garden this year.  They actually tasted pretty good!
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 08:19:47 PM »
Hey Tony, I thought they might be out in your area. I had to water today as did not get any of the rain left overs from the hurricane. But, the end of this week supposed to have rain everyday starting with Wednesday night. Also the burnt ends looked really good. Not sure which I want to do this weekend will either be some brisket or the Boston Butt. I might do the other slab of ribs to see how they come out. Just not going to leave them in  the smoker after they are done. If I split them with my Dad he can come and get them lol
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 08:21:47 PM »
Tackle a packer brisket, Bill - that way, you can save the point for ends! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 08:24:36 PM »
Funny you said that Tony as was leaning that way. Either that or may hop on the bike and head down your way for tomatoes. I love bacon and tomato sandwiches... Would be a good 6 hour ride.

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 08:35:06 PM »
Bill, I bet they'll be a lot better in a couple of weeks.  The wife got these last weekend, and they were kind of anemic looking!  I told her they got the rejects from Harp's (grocery store), and passed them off as "homegrown!"  lol.  She didn't laugh, though.  Despite the looks, they tasted great. 
Tony from NW Arkansas