Author Topic: Canned Kokanee  (Read 1755 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Canned Kokanee
« on: June 08, 2015, 11:23:18 AM »
With freezer space a premium, canning my fish goes a long way towards freeing up freezer space and giving jars to friends and family has made a lot of people very happy.

I start by brining the fish overnight in a soy sauce, brown sugar and garlic brine.

Then into the smoker for 45 minutes to an hour just to par cook the fish.

Seasoning gets added to the jars along with the fish and then into the pressure canner for 100 minutes at 10psi.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Limey

Re: Canned Kokanee
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 12:48:06 PM »
Dave, those look great. Also looks like a serious labour of love-hope your friends appreciate all the work that went in. Incidentally, what temp do you smoke at?
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Canned Kokanee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 01:03:45 PM »
A couple things I learned regarding canning, smoke flavor gets intensified during the canning process.  The time in the smoker is relatively short as the purpose is really 2 fold.  One is to add just a little bit of smoke and the other is to loosen the skeleton just enough for me to get 90% of the bones out on the pull of the skeletal structure. The other 10% get dissolved under pressure in the cooker. Most folks will can fish whole but I do a little extra work to remove as much bones as easily possible.  Now, to answer your question more directly, I smoke at about 220 for the 45 - 60 minutes.  The size of my catch has a lot to do with how long I smoke to get the desired cook point. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah