Author Topic: Future New Owner  (Read 5349 times)

GreenID

Future New Owner
« on: June 07, 2015, 10:34:21 PM »
I will be purchasing the #2 Model imminently and have a few questions I hope you can help me with (after reading things on the forum):
1.   I take it you recommend procuring the Auber PID controller with a bypass switch?  I also saw there is an electronic model is coming out but it won’t come out for about another six months, so I don’t want to wait that long.  The Cookshack smokers come with this feature built in but they cost more.  Will installing the Aube PID controller and bypass switch invalidate the warranty?  I would like to smoke chicken above 250 degrees to get crispy skin.
2.   Please point me to the best instructions (hopefully with pictures) for installing the Auber PID controller and bypass switch.  I read in one installation where parts had melted and they had to redo the installation.
3.   Is a remote digital thermometer (Maverick ET-732 or ET-733) a reasonable alternative?
4.   What recommended accessories do you think a new user would need?

Jackie
Jackie from Washington, DC
Smoking IT #2

aspenextreme03

Re: Future New Owner
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 06:21:57 AM »
Personally I would skip the auber and get the #2 with a maverick 733. You can always get the auber later as in my opinion it is not necessary for many things. Obviously the auber makes some things easier.
Eric from Marietta, GA
Smokin-It Model 2, Weber Genesis & Blackstone Pizza Oven

Trip

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 07:11:58 AM »
Based on my observations with Chicken and using a heatermeter to go above 300, I would spend the money you would spend on an Auber and put it towards a #3.  Bigger space while you can, you can always buy an auber later or just save the money til you are ready to buy an auber with the SI2.  If you want real crispy skin, put it in the oven at a much higher temp than an auber/SI2 for a little while after the smoke.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 07:51:40 AM »
I agree with others that the auber is not a necessary component to get up and running.  I purchased a #2 about 2.5 years ago and I do not use an auber...just use the stock controller that comes with the unit.     I have the maverick 732...you will definitely need something to monitor the IT of the meat while smoking.   A kitchen scale to weigh your wood is a nice addition as well.   I would also get several rolls of heavy duty AL foil, and I use disposable gloves (the latex type) for handling meat. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:03:28 AM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 08:02:07 AM »
Jackie...here's a thread where others provided suggestions for accessories:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3415.0

Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

GreenID

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 10:49:10 AM »
Thanks everyone for your responses I will skip the Auber for now, your feedback was very helpful.

Jackie
Smoking IT #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 08:35:38 PM »
Hi Jackie,

Sorry for being late to the party - been out of pocket for the last couple of days with work (day jobs bite).

I agree that the Auber is not an essential purchase, up front, but it is cheaper doing it that way because it ships with the smoker.  If you do a bypass, the switched version is also not essential (I don't use a switch, just a bypassed unit with the Auber).

If you haven't read the new owner section, I suggest you do:

What to Do When It Arrives

Basics for a Beginner

This should answer a lot of your accessory questions.  Let us know how it goes, and I look forward to seeing you! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

GreenID

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 09:38:20 PM »
Thanks I'll look at the referenced links you suggested.  I already ordered model 2 with the Maverick ET 733.

I'll let you know how things turn out.

Jackie
Smoking IT #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 09:42:11 PM »
Congrats, Jackie!  Add your name and town to your signature line, so we always know it's you! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 07:28:15 AM »
Congratulations, Jackie!  I am sure you will love the #2 ... I know I do!  Cheers    :D
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 08:46:34 AM »
Skip the Auber and buy a #3. You can always add a PID but you can't increase space of your machine. When I first bought my #3 I thought I wanted a PID, I was very wrong, I make excellent food without it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

GreenID

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 09:21:11 AM »
Thanks again for your feedback, I expect to get my unit today.
Smoking IT #2

drains

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 11:13:05 AM »
Welcome from Texas we're glad you're here! No doubt the auber is a nice add but not a necessity at all. The vast majority are making delicious food without it happy smokin!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 11:23:45 AM »
When I first bought my #3 I thought I wanted a PID, I was very wrong, I make excellent food without it.
I don't think anyone should be misconceived that an Auber makes for better food.  IMO, its value is 100% in its automation of the smoking process. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 07:02:12 PM »
When I first bought my #3 I thought I wanted a PID, I was very wrong, I make excellent food without it.
I don't think anyone should be misconceived that an Auber makes for better food.  IMO, its value is 100% in its automation of the smoking process.

+1!  Great tool, especially for us BBQ nerds, but I made a whole lotta great Q in my stock #1!
Tony from NW Arkansas