Author Topic: Wood Burn Thoughts  (Read 13096 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Wood Burn Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 02:06:58 PM »
Hey All,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with using oak that has been part of a wine barrel? I have a friend that gets a lot of wine barrels to make benches and lazy susans out of and he gave me some samples to try smoking meat with. The oak is 5 years old but has been impregnated with red wine to a depth of maybe 3/16's of an inch over that 5 years. I don't know about the moisture content and haven't had a chance to use it yet. Any thoughts?
BB

I use whiskey barrel oak I got from Fruitawood.  The barrel wood smells great, but only gives a regular oak smoke taste to the wood.  Also, the wood is pretty dry, so wrap it in foil, or it will combust...been there, done that!  Great on beef!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bubbabob

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 11:09:54 AM »
Tony and All,
Thanks for the response. I'm going to smoke a brisket tomorrow using the wine-soaked oak barrel staves and I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck. It's only my second brisket.
Cheers,
BB
Large BGE, SI #1, Weber Genesis gasser, Maverick ET 733, Thermapen, Grill Grates for my gasser, and a Vortex.

"I know I'm having a good day when my gratitude exceeds my expectations." - Ray Wiley Hubbard

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 12:38:01 PM »
Tony and All,
Thanks for the response. I'm going to smoke a brisket tomorrow using the wine-soaked oak barrel staves and I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck. It's only my second brisket.
Cheers,
BB

I have used and have on hand the wine oak barrel. The smell is great and you will like the results.

Greg

bubbabob

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 11:36:56 AM »
My 8 lb brisket point was in the little guy for 12 hours and came out falling apart tender (I used the texas crutch after it hit 150 and took it up to 203 before cutting the heat back to 140). It was super juicy, with great flavor. I'll definitely get some more of that wine soaked oak! Sorry, no pics. I had a house full of company and maybe a martini too many to remember to take them.
Cheers,
BB
Large BGE, SI #1, Weber Genesis gasser, Maverick ET 733, Thermapen, Grill Grates for my gasser, and a Vortex.

"I know I'm having a good day when my gratitude exceeds my expectations." - Ray Wiley Hubbard

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 11:48:54 AM »
My 8 lb brisket point was in the little guy for 12 hours and came out falling apart tender (I used the texas crutch after it hit 150 and took it up to 203 before cutting the heat back to 140). It was super juicy, with great flavor. I'll definitely get some more of that wine soaked oak! Sorry, no pics. I had a house full of company and maybe a martini too many to remember to take them.
Cheers,
BB

Always nice when the plan works!

Have a great weekend.

Greg

bubbabob

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 11:38:02 AM »
Thanks Greg, and sorry for the late reply. We were on a short vacation and out of touch.
BB

barelfly

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 12:06:08 AM »
After seasoning today, I noticed front piece of wood was solid and charred, middle piece was pretty much ash and back piece was charred with some ash coming from the split that occurred.

After reading through this thread, if I use foil tent for the wood, should I place the foil on the hot spot, or perhaps in the middle between hot and next hottest spot?

Thanks for the help!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 07:55:11 PM »
Sounds like you found your hot spot, Jeremy.  You can either avoid the hot spot (we use so little wood, it's usually not a problem, especially in a 3), or you can wrap the bottom of the chunk in a little foil boat (not a tent).  Better wood, like smokinlicious, also minimizes combustion.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

barelfly

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 12:40:38 PM »
After cooking the ribs this week, I used one chunk (right at 3oz) and used a foil boat. I placed it in the middle, where my hot spot is. After cleanup, all that was left was ash. Next smoke, I'll move it back towards the back to see how that works. I also ordered Smokinlicious wood and will see how that works out.

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 06:05:08 PM »
Combustion is fuel, heat and oxygen.  Rather than "boat", I just lay a piece of foil in the bottom of the box to cover most of the holes, reducing oxygen and a small amount of direct heat.  However, from your test results it sounds like you know where to put the wood for best results. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

barelfly

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 12:01:50 AM »
Second smoke was today. I ordered Smokinlicious wood last week and used a foil boat on the bottom of the wood and moved to the second hottest part of the box (far back). The wood chunk was black throughout and would fall apart when pulled on.

I'm guessing this is what we are after with an electric smoker, correct? Regardless, the chicken quarters I made tonight were phenomenal!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 01:35:44 PM »
Yes, that is exactly what you are looking for.

Another example of why Smokinlicious wood is so awesome!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 01:45:53 PM »
+1   ;)   I am on my second box load of snmokinlicious wood and have had no combustion problems...just black charred wood that falls a part when the smoking session is done.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2016, 07:17:56 PM »
Just because a chunk turns to a pile of ash, doesn't mean it caught fire.  Unless I see a temperature spike, and nasty gray smoke, I look at a pile of ash as "success!"  I achieved a slow smolder, on the bottom of the chunk, and it eventually consumed the whole chunk (at a slow rate).  Ash is not bad.... gray, short-lasting smoke, accompanied by belches and/or temp spikes, is.
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 10:08:57 AM »
Just because a chunk turns to a pile of ash, doesn't mean it caught fire.  Unless I see a temperature spike, and nasty gray smoke, I look at a pile of ash as "success!"  I achieved a slow smolder, on the bottom of the chunk, and it eventually consumed the whole chunk (at a slow rate).  Ash is not bad.... gray, short-lasting smoke, accompanied by belches and/or temp spikes, is.

Definitely true. And I will say that even on the rare occasion where I did have some combustion, I just let it ride and didn't open the door and I still had awesome results. I think the biggest mistake that some people do is open the door when they see a belch or a temperature spike. This just lets the oxygen flow into the chamber and makes things worse. If you just let it ride, things will go back to normal and in the end your final results will not be affected that much if at all.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.