Author Topic: Brisket today  (Read 4486 times)

es1025

Brisket today
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:49:33 AM »
The #3 is foiled up for todays smoke. 5.25 oz of hickory wood in the smoke box. I get to try out my new water pan today. The plan is dalmatian rub and let rest for 30 minutes. Auber set for 250 until an IT of 195. I do plan on wrapping at 150-160 in parchment paper, with a little spritz of water and worchestshire sauce. Its a 3lb flat. Stay tuned!
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Grampy

Re: Brisket today
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 09:53:26 AM »
Ed, Good luck! It sounds like a good plan.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

es1025

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 10:35:38 AM »
A bit concerned already at 151 after 1.5 hours. I guess with beef you never know.
Ed from Northern NJ

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 10:53:31 AM »
A bit concerned already at 151 after 1.5 hours. I guess with beef you never know.
And what you never know is how long the stall will last. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

es1025

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 04:15:02 PM »
Took 4.5 hours to hit 195. I let the brisket rest for three hours. Although very moist ii was a bit tough. Lesson learned, if you are resting for more than an hour pull off at 190. The bark was terrific.
Ed from Northern NJ

RG

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 04:57:36 PM »
Flats are hard to keep from drying out. In another smoker, I'd say cook it in a pan with beef broth to keep moist. From what I have read on here, pans are frowned upon since they don't allow proper heat circulation by acting as a "shield". That's unfortunate if that indeed is the case.

Buy a packer if you can, you'll have better odds of making a moist brisket. Maybe Walt will chime in and give you a few tips. He knows far more than I do about briskets.

es1025

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 05:05:08 PM »
It was my fault, the recipe works, i did not think the flat would be done in 4.5 hours. Next time same recipe except 190 it. I usually rest for 45-60 minutes not three hours.
Ed from Northern NJ

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 05:18:24 PM »
Took 4.5 hours to hit 195. I let the brisket rest for three hours. Although very moist ii was a bit tough. Lesson learned, if you are resting for more than an hour pull off at 190. The bark was terrific.
In my mind, it wasn't done at 195 if it was tough.  Cooking by temperature can be as dangerous as cooking by time if taken literally for every piece of meat.  Go ahead and check at 190 or 195 but it isn't done until the toothpick comes out with no tug.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 12:17:16 PM »
I was wondering if you wrap with foil at 150IT and place it back in the smoker. At that point could a person put some liquid around the brisket in the foil b/4 closing up the foil? Leaving a small opening for the meat probe. Would this add some moister to the brisket?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 06:23:31 PM »
I was wondering if you wrap with foil at 150IT and place it back in the smoker. At that point could a person put some liquid around the brisket in the foil b/4 closing up the foil? Leaving a small opening for the meat probe. Would this add some moister to the brisket?
My brisket goes into a pan just like this.  I put whatever remaining injection I had left or 1/2 a can of Coke in the pan, wrap and back into the smoker at 250 until it reaches my desired IT.

Steaming effect helps cook faster and keeps it moist.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 06:50:10 PM »
Thanks, am thinking of smoking a brisket or maybe the Boston Butt this weekend. I have heard of people also injecting with coke.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri