Author Topic: Question on a Bone-in Turkey Breast  (Read 4205 times)

coachB

Question on a Bone-in Turkey Breast
« on: June 06, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
Throwing out a question for the poultry guys.  I have not done any poultry smokes to this point so I don't know if this is doable.  First thing, I love the crispy turkey skin.  I will tear off the skin, salt it, and chew on it like it's jerky.  I looked through the previous threads but didn't find any answers, just not to expect crisp skin.

If I brine a bone-in breast, apply a binder and rub, would the next steps work or not?  No water pan, cherry wood, with the Auber set 1st program @ 150 for 1 hr, then bumped to 2nd program 325 or 350 to IT of 165.  This would seem to be roughly the same as doing the bird in an oven and logically would produce the same result on the skin but with the additional benefits of the smoke.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again guys.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Question on a Bone-in Turkey Breast
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 04:40:57 PM »
I do this for turkey.

http://www.smoking-meat.com/november-14-2013-smoked-turkey-breast-for-thanksgiving

Great tasting when done, but I seriously doubt you get the skin action "crispness" you will be looking for.

Assume leftovers for while!

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 05:04:44 PM »
You could pull the turkey when it reaches 145°F and then put it in your oven at 400 degrees. This should make the skin crispy, if your oven has convection I would use that.

Pull when it reaches 165 degrees.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 09:32:32 PM »
Yeah, if crispy turkey skin is your thing, you need to finish in the oven.  If you run the SI up to 325-350, it won't be at that temp long enough to get it done.  The breast will likely be done shortly after it hits target temp.

Personally, I just do all poultry at 275.  We're not skin eaters, so I don't mind that it's not crispy.  I just consider it a moisture barrier for cooking! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 10:09:18 PM »
You can peel the skin off after completion & place on a pizza stone to render. My girls refer to it as chicken bacon. Crispy, salty, intense chicken flavor.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »
You can peel the skin off after completion & place on a pizza stone to render. My girls refer to it as chicken bacon. Crispy, salty, intense chicken flavor.

Wow!  Never thought of that!  My wife would love it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

coachB

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »
Well, here's the update on the turkey breast for the wedding rehearsal dinner.  When I opened the wrapper on the breast there was skin on only 1/2 of the breast.  I worked a finger under the skin to loosen and then tried stretching to cover as much as possible.  Held the skin in place with toothpicks.  Used Tony Chachere's rub under the skin and on it.  Smoked to 145, removed, finished in the oven at 350 to try to crisp the skin.  Result--the skin pulled away from the toothpicks, did not crisp up, and the uncovered side looked like it was overcooked.  Threw away the skin.  When I carved the breast the covered side was juicy and very good.  I carved 2-3 slices off the uncovered side and it was fine.  The dogs were grateful for the turkey leftovers.
When I try my next one I will try leaving it in the SI and use the Jerky Dryer to try and crisp the skin.
The wedding reception dinner the next night was catered by a friend of my ex.  She had said we would hit it off and she was right.  He is phenomenal.  I have never had a meal like he prepared.  A lot of dishes that are unpronounceable but unforgettable.  I was very pleased with the results and reception to my offerings, but boy am I glad they got my meal first.  His would have been an impossible act to follow.  But I digress.  Re the turkey problem--he couldn't suggest a crispy skin fix in the smoker, but he said when there is not enough skin to cover the breast soak some cheesecloth in chicken or turkey broth, apply to exposed breast, then baste the cheesecloth with melted butter.  Kind of like a mustard plaster for a turkey.  This will keep the exposed parts of the breast from getting overdone.
If I was gay I would have proposed on the spot the guy was that fantastic a chef.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 09:55:37 PM »
Good deal, Bill!  When I only did turkeys in the oven, I always used the cheesecloth soaked in butter method (even with the skin on).  I learned it from "The Joy of Cooking."  I later went to the "breast down" method, which works even better (in the oven).
Tony from NW Arkansas