Author Topic: Nothing says "Thank You" like BBQ!  (Read 5219 times)

RG

Nothing says "Thank You" like BBQ!
« on: June 01, 2015, 04:30:45 PM »
As I posted in another thread, I am smoking a couple of butts overnight. One is going off to the cabin in the mountains with the wife and my son and some other family members for tomorrow night's meal and one is being donated to the fellas at my hvac/plumbing supply house for hooking me up with a great deal on a new furnace/AC. They saved me A LOT of money so lunch is on me ;)

I went a little crazy taking pics. All the way from the mustard slather, to the smoker and everything in between :P

A little mustard massage!

Rub a dub dub

On the SI rack ready to make a trip

Loaded with 6oz of hickory, peach and apple

House is clean, ready for guests!

Ready for a sleepover ;)

I also baked up a dozen chocolate chunk cookies, made up some sauces (regular, hot and mustard), red potato salad and will take along some potato buns, pickles, Lays chips (for those that don't eat potato salad) and some cold cokes.

This is also reinforcing them to use me for a catering event a little later down the road. I've fed them for free for years, it got me a gigantic discount on equipment and should lead to a catering pay day. It's a win-win ;D

1stlink

Re: Nothing says "Thank You" like BBQ!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 05:04:59 PM »
Looking good Jason...  8)

Carp210

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 05:10:04 PM »
Great looking butts.  Looks like you stopped taking photos just before you put in the water pan.
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 05:12:49 PM »
Jason,

Looks like you don't foil the wood, but place foil of the firebox.

Do you do this to prevent the burp?

Thanks Greg

Grampy

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 05:38:29 PM »
Jason,

Thanks Greg

Greg, that's the way I do it too. I do not wrap it around the wood. I just double a piece of foil in the bottom of the fire box to avoid the "belch". Before I started putting foil in the bottom I noticed that I did get the "belch" and all of the wood was just a pile of white ashes at the end of a smoke. With the foil in place I have not had another "belch" and the pieces of wood look like a piece charcoal at the end of a smoke.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 05:44:46 PM »
Jason,

Thanks Greg

Greg, that's the way I do it too. I do not wrap it around the wood. I just double a piece of foil in the bottom of the fire box to avoid the "belch". Before I started putting foil in the bottom I noticed that I did get the "belch" and all of the wood was just a pile of white ashes at the end of a smoke. With the foil in place I have not had another "belch" and the pieces of wood look like a piece charcoal at the end of a smoke.

Jimmy,

Thanks I will give it a try on my next smoke!

Greg

RG

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 05:57:33 PM »
Carp210 no water pan. I don't use them as I don't think it's needed. Butts are so fatty, I don't think there's a benefit to having liquid in the cooker as the meat is brined and will be plenty moist as it is. I used a mini loaf pan in there when I did my last brisket. I didn't notice a difference.

Greg, what Grampy said ^^^ lol
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:00:12 PM by RG »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 06:04:41 PM »
Carp210 no water pan. I don't use them as I don't think it's needed. Butts are so fatty, I don't think there's a benefit to having liquid in the cooker as the meat is brined and will be plenty moist as it is. I used a mini loaf pan in there when I did my last brisket. I didn't notice a difference.

Greg, what Grampy said ^^^ lol

Cool, looks easier than wrapping each piece of wood.

Keep us posted on your smoke!

Greg

RG

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 05:25:47 PM »
Butts done, ready to wrap in foil and hold in a towel lined cooler

Loaded up my "travel tub" with goodies to take to the boys - pork, sauce, cookies, potato salad, chips, pickles, cokes and buns (not in pic)

One of the guys who works there snapped a pic of his plate and tagged me on facebook so I borrowed his pic ;)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 05:48:59 PM »
Jason,

Looks great my friend, great smoke!

Greg

RG

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 06:04:29 PM »
Thanks Greg! I rather enjoyed watching everyone tear into it. The mail lady even took a cookie and a bag of chips and a coke and one of their customers, an hvac guy, came and sat down and ate a big old plate, lol. He said, and I quote "I know BBQ and THIS is GOOD!" lol. It made me feel good knowing that they appreciated it. I didn't even eat any. I left the meat intact and pulled it on site, to keep it moist and I had that place smelling all kinds of good. You would've thought those men were a pack of wild dogs when they got a whiff of that pork perfuming the place.

We take for granted the food we make. We are all so spoiled aren't we?

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 06:14:10 PM »
We are spoiled, most folks just don't eat this well or can even tell the difference. I have friends that only go for quantity, I go for quality.

It's also nice to give back and share with others like you did!

Greg

1stlink

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 06:32:59 PM »
Great going Jason. Damn that's a hell of a feast. It would have been enjoyable to watch the wolf pack.. lol  8)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 07:44:26 PM »
Nice job, and really nice gesture, Jason! ;D   It still amazes me to see the reactions I get to my BBQ from "outsiders" that don't get it very often...very gratifying, and humbling.  I've had people go on about my ribs and pork butts almost to the point of being uncomfortable, all while they're "walking the talk" (stuffing their faces as fast as they can!).  Compliments are nice, but I get more enjoyment out of the ones fighting over the last bit that's left! 

Yes...we are spoiled, and we are also our worst critics!  It's reassuring to hear & see we truly are good at our craft!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 08:22:03 PM »
Tony, you hit the nail on the head my friend. I almost expect people to say they like, out of kindness or respect but when they keep going back for more, you know they mean it, lol. I too get uncomfortable when they keep complimenting me. My wife has always told me that I don't take compliments well and I guess it does make me feel uneasy. I'm just an average guy and I get embarrassed when I get complimented. It's a fault (one of many) of mine I suppose.

Back to the meat, the SI once again made some fine swine. I love this thing! It really does work well. I am amazed every time I cook on it. I've discussed in previous posts my love for smoking and grilling and how I adore my Kegs. I hold them as the benchmark of my all of my years of cooking on various grills and smokers but this little #3 has earned a seat at the big boy table, lol. I am SO glad I bought this thing that I can't rightfully put into words how pleased I am with it. It really has met and surpassed anything I could've hoped for. As a dedicated smoker, it's my favorite out of my line up and that is really saying something!

I don't know if Steve ever reads these posts but if he does let me say this. Steve, you make a wonderful product. I am a believer in the Smokin-It smokers and would gladly offer this up as a testimonial. My #3 makes as good or even better BBQ than anything I've ever had the privilege to cook on. Keep doing what you do, I wish you and your team continued success and I plan on spreading the word to anyone who will listen!