Author Topic: Aaron Franklin Espresso BBQ Sauce  (Read 12877 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Aaron Franklin Espresso BBQ Sauce
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 12:34:20 PM »
Greg, was the tweaked final version better after chilling in the fridge and mellowing out? Would you make it again?

The tweaked version once put on meat was not bad. Out of our group, only one person really liked it in the top three.

So no I would pass on it.

But if you have a favorite sauce, you could start by adding 1/2 t. espresso and do a taste test for yourself.

Greg

Tom

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 08:29:19 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add a few observations on espresso. I've been a coffee roaster for 20 + years now and can tell you, like with most things in life, garbage in, garbage out. Starbucks would be a poor choice for any recipe, but more so for a recipe that you want to avoid bitterness. The compounds in coffee will tend to taste more and more bitter the more they're extracted. The extraction and degradation of those compounds is going to happen while it's being heated in a saucepan.

I might give this recipe a try at some point today, I need to check but I think I have most of the ingredients on hand. But if you're trying to avoid bitterness, and don't have a good espresso machine/grinder at home, then you can easily substitute a very strong brew ratio of a coffee that isn't roasted into oblivion. Basically, use any bean that isn't shiny with oils. You'd be surprised at some of the flavors you can get out of a good coffee bean. I've made several sauces over the years that use strong coffee and or espresso and generally you're not going to find a strong coffee flavor in the mix, there's just more maillard compounds in the mix the give you almost a gravy like complexity.

I'll wrap it up with a Aaron Franklin encounter I had here in San Francisco last year. He was in town to promote his cookbook, and had a pre-sold (sold out in 3 seconds) dinner party at 4505 Meats. My dad was in town and I took him around the city to see the sights. My fiancee wanted to see the Li Po Lounge since it's a "world famous" dive bar that has really highly rated Mai-Tai's. So we're there, sitting at the bar, sipping Mai-Tai's and in walks Aaron completely randomly. My dad acted like he was meeting the President, being that he's also a competitive BBQ'er and judge.

Aaron's a super down to earth guy and when the conversation we had turned towards coffee, he was interested in hearing my recommendations for the city. Apparently he's got a 3 group espresso machine in his restaurant to keep his staff and himself well buzzed for the early morning work of manning the pit.

Since long posts without pictures suck, here's my dad and Aaron at the Li Po Lounge :)

Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 08:59:13 AM »
Hey Tom,

While I enjoy good coffee, I know very little about espresso, but your post makes sense. Last time I was in Austin, I was planning to pick up some of his bottled sauce and then compare with what he serves with his brisket. But I ran out of time so it is on my list to do on my next trip.

I am in the process of moving, but once I get back into the swing of things, I will try some good coffee and also find a place that is know for their espresso and give it a go.

Cool pic with Aaron and your dad!

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 06:33:40 PM »
Cool post, Tom!  Great, memorable, experience.  Makes it that much better that dear ol' dad was there!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!