Author Topic: Moink Balls - Meatballs  (Read 18509 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Moink Balls - Meatballs
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2015, 05:32:33 PM »
I think these turned out very good.  I went by color and pulled them at 1 hour and 10 minutes.  The bacon is crisp and the meatball is well done and wouldn't have survived longer in the smoker. 

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2015, 05:39:29 PM »
The bacon looks perfect, I am surprised they cooked so fast.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2015, 05:59:15 PM »
No ramp up time in a propane smoker. In order to get crisp bacon, I went hot and quick to retain moisture and get the bacon texture I like. Smoked at 250.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2015, 06:03:05 PM »
I ate a portion of the first batch bare and am saucing the other portion now for comparison

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2015, 06:08:55 PM »
No ramp up time in a propane smoker. In order to get crisp bacon, I went hot and quick to retain moisture and get the bacon texture I like. Smoked at 250.

OK, that makes sense why the bacon looked like that so quick.

I will try this next time, start on the grill and then move to the smoker.....

Thanks for the info.

Greg

RG

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2015, 06:16:07 PM »
I would reverse that Greg. Get your smoke while the meat is raw, then crisp up bacon on grill.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2015, 06:45:52 PM »
I would reverse that Greg. Get your smoke while the meat is raw, then crisp up bacon on grill.

Hey Jason,

That is how I did it on my last batch for the neighbors a few days ago. Smoke and then finished on the grill.

But if I am doing a batch, I am just going to go for 2 hours in the smoker, the last batch turned out juicy and perfect that way.

What I like about this forum is, there are many ways to get to the same goal and sometimes its nice to know another way!

Greg

RG

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2015, 07:02:37 PM »
There's always more than one way to skin a cat, that's for sure. I was just pointing out that cooked meat will not take the smoke like it would being raw. No harm intended, I am not trying to sound like I am a know it all by any means  :P

I'm just happy that I seem to have started a Moink craze on here, and I like it! LOL

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2015, 07:14:37 PM »
And here's finished product of the sauced version.  This certainly allows one to add another couple of layers of flavor.  I used a Famous Dave's spicy sauce with a couple tablespoons of maple syrup. 

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2015, 07:17:55 PM »
There's always more than one way to skin a cat, that's for sure. I was just pointing out that cooked meat will not take the smoke like it would being raw. No harm intended, I am not trying to sound like I am a know it all by any means  :P

I'm just happy that I seem to have started a Moink craze on here, and I like it! LOL

Hey Jason,

No worries, we are good....

The only way to learn is to kick the bucket a few times.

To really create a great recipe you have to experiment and be willing to not only fail but, but make variations, until you find a recipe that is a keeper.

The power of this forum for me it that others have done most of the heavy lifting, all I need to do is to put my spin on the finished product!

Thanks for the Moinks craze here!

Greg

RG

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2015, 07:45:47 PM »
Agreed. I've failed more than I care to admit as seen with the brisket, lol. I will keep my mouth shut about that though, it will be for the best ;)

I am a tinkerer, I too like to add my touch to most recipes I find. My touch to the Moinks that differs from what I found is to add what I added to the meat and to dust with a coffee rub as well as to smoke them and lastly the sauce I use, which is one of my creations. It has beer, chipotle and lots of sweetness to add to the savory of the meat. BBQ is a great canvas that we each paint how we like. That is what is so alluring. It doesn't have to be MY way, it can be YOUR way and it's wonderful in that regard. I've seen people get bent out of shape over it too. It can be like talking politics and that's a shame, it's supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, it's time to leave it alone and move on.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2015, 08:54:06 PM »
And here's finished product of the sauced version.  This certainly allows one to add another couple of layers of flavor.  I used a Famous Dave's spicy sauce with a couple tablespoons of maple syrup. 

Wow,

Very nice.

Greg