Author Topic: Moink Balls - Meatballs  (Read 18510 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Moink Balls - Meatballs
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2015, 08:54:14 PM »
Mine are going in the smoke tomorrow.  Here's my plan for the mix.

Dave’s Moinks
1.5 pounds ground beef
1 pound spicy sausage
1 pound of bacon
½  cup chopped onion
4 ounces shredded cheese
1/3 cup BBQ sauce
2 eggs
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
BBQ rub
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

coachB

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2015, 09:46:15 PM »
Dave, no breadcrumbs?
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2015, 12:18:33 AM »
Dave, no breadcrumbs?
Wife and I are trying to cut back on carbs.  A lot of this came from a low carb Atkins recipe. 

coachB

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2015, 12:30:57 AM »
Just wondering because I kind of wondered if the breadcrumbs contributed to the dryness of the batch of moinks I made up.  I had already planned on a combo of beef and pork and was thinking of leaving the breadcrumbs out.  I am not a big fan of beef meatballs and was hoping the moinks would be moister.  I think with the pork they will be.

RG

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »
The biggest problem with beef is overcooking and using too lean of a grind. 80/20 chuck, cooked until firm but not stiff yields a good product. As for the breadcrumbs, not too much is needed, just enough to absorb the egg to help hold it together. Technically you could leave the egg and bread crumbs out of the mixture but you'd run the risk of the meatballs falling apart. As for the low carb thing, this little bit of bread is minimal in the grand scheme of things. I too do low carb but if you're going to do the bbq sauce, you might as well do the bread crumbs too, lol. A cheat day every now and again is no big deal. I eat low carb all week but sometimes on the weekend I will stray a little.

One last thing of note, this is not meant to be disparaging in any way but Moinks will turn out far better on a grill than in the SI. You want that dry heat that comes from a flame, whether it be from charcoal or gas. If you have the chance, cook some indirect on a grill and tell me what you think.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:19:32 AM by RG »

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2015, 10:16:19 AM »
Like you, I've got multiple cooking devices.  Maybe I use the gas smoker today. 

coachB

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2015, 10:53:52 AM »
Jason, do you think the moinks would do better in the oven than the SI?  I don't trust the temp control of my grille.  I have found that some things do actually come out better in an oven.  Sacrilege! Maybe in the smoker for a while and finishing in the oven.  I found the baked beans from the oven, while not smoked, were actually better in the oven.  More evaporation took place making a heavier, richer product that was really well received.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2015, 10:56:52 AM »
Bill, if my bacon wasn't as crispy as I wanted it coming out of the smoker, I was going to blast it in the oven to crisp the bacon. 

RG

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2015, 11:23:45 AM »
Ovens can do the work just fine. I do think what Dave said about smoking and then finishing in an oven is solid advice. It needs that smoke to make it magical. An alternative is to buy a cheap charcoal grill and light coals and put one one side of it and cook on the other, indirect. Throw a few wood chips on for smoke. The SI is great for some things, mostly big pieces of meat that require long cook times. Moinks do better on other devices. I've not cooked them on the SI but just call it a hunch ;)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2015, 11:59:32 AM »
I think they would taste fine in the oven, but you would miss the smoke. Dave idea of finishing in the oven would work fine.

On batch I did, only did part of the batch wrapped in bacon. The larger batch, I smoked for 1 hour and then pulled and put in the freezer. Then a few days ago I pulled a dozen, allowed them to thaw, wrapped in bacon and finished on the grill. Coated with sauce and gave to my neighbor, who said they tasted great.

Just another idea.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2015, 12:14:16 PM »
Who has eaten a few unsauced?  Opinions on that taste? 

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2015, 01:42:02 PM »
Who has eaten a few unsauced?  Opinions on that taste?

I made some without bacon and no sauce. This way I could use them on pizza or in pasta, they taste great.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2015, 04:14:48 PM »

Just went in.  I broke down and added a handful of bread crumbs. 

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2015, 04:19:34 PM »
They look good Dave, I bet the onions and the cheese is really going to add to the moisture and the flavor!

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »
One lesson I learned on my practice run today is to make one meatball and test it to your 1/2 piece of bacon before making all your meatballs.  Mine were a little generous to my bacon size. I made the balls a little egg shaped to get the 1/2 bacon to fit right.