Author Topic: Accessories Recommendation  (Read 8431 times)

Durangosmoker

Re: Accessories Recommendation
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 07:10:20 PM »
Get a thermometer that reads remotely, like the Maverick.  It is important to know what the internal temperature of your meat is, and you don't want to be continually opening the door to check.  If you don't order one with your smoker, buy one from amazon or somewhere with cheaper shipping, but buy one.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 08:08:38 PM »
Welcome, Al!  Congrats on the #2!  If you haven't read this, please do (it will help):

Basics for Beginners

Also, check out "What to do when it arrives," in the same Instructions section. 

When you get a chance, go ahead and add your first name and town to your signature line...we like to get to know our new members in "Club Lazy Q!" 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Trip

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 08:10:36 PM »
The cord hanger is nice, but I actually just wrap up my cord and sit it on the top of the smoker, then cover.  So, no sweat on the hanger!

I believe some folks have used wood chips on occasion, but most of us use the wood chunks...you will get a small bag with 4 hickory doles as part of the purchase.

I have more cords than most with the heatermeter, I want a hanger.  lol

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 08:14:38 PM »
You also need to buy some gear wraps, I use these for my electronics and the smoker cord, they make all lengths.

Nite Ize GT3-4PK-A1 Gear Tie Reusable 3-Inch Rubber Twist Tie, Assorted Colors

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-6-in-Gear-Tie-in-Black-2-Pack-GT6-2PK-01/203210506?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-203211054-_-203210506-_-N

Greg

althomas

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 09:35:03 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I will give the rub hooks a try,  they were free with my order as part of a promotion.  I will check out that website for wood.  I have quite a pile of seasoned apple wood, I could cut that into chunks for the #2 as well.

Aaron
Minneapolis
Weber charcoal
Offset barrel smoker
Propane smoker
Aaron

Have been smokin for 10 years but just bought a #2.

Offset barrel smoker
Propane smoker
Weber charcoal grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 08:25:25 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I will give the rib hooks a try,  they were free with my order as part of a promotion. 

Aaron - don't bother.  Been at this awhile, and have never seen anyone "actually" use the rib hooks!  You'll absolutely get the best results by laying your ribs flat, bone-side down on the shelves.  Plus, you'll avoid the potential of your slabs tearing and falling to the bottom of the smoker!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!