Author Topic: Holding temp  (Read 2323 times)

Ohiophil

Holding temp
« on: June 11, 2015, 04:03:03 PM »
Holding temp on a model #2 I set it at 235 and it runs from 200 to 260 is there a way togeist is there a way to get it tighter ?
Phil Alliance Ohio
Smokin-it #2
Weber Kettle
Weber summit
Big green egg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Holding temp
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 04:07:03 PM »
The temp swings are normal with the unit and don't effect the outcome of the finished product.

If you want to have precise you would need to add an Auber controller. If you click on the main page you will find the subject:

Auber PID Tips and Tricks

The Auber has really caught on! Here's a place to post your experiences and questions concerning the Auber PID.

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 05:59:28 PM »
Temp swings are perfectly normal, I see them all the time...sometimes small, sometimes a bit larger.  In the end, they average out at your desired temp, so no worries!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 06:35:45 PM »
Phil - the best way to deal with temp swings on the stock analog controller is to stop monitoring box temp!  Set your desired temp, and walk away until you hit the right internal meat temp.  Easy peasy.  The only way to get tighter temps is to use the Auber PID controller.  It's certainly not required to make great Q, but will add a little more control and consistency on temps.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Ohiophil

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 08:38:04 PM »
Thanks guy's smoked 2 racks of baby backs set it at 235 no peek, well after 4 1/2 hours I looked !! got some bark closed the door for 1 more hour turned out great thanks  again, I'm a big green egg guy, but this smokin it sure is easy and they turned out great !!!
Phil Alliance Ohio
Smokin-it #2
Weber Kettle
Weber summit
Big green egg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 09:32:34 PM »
Now you've got it, Phil!  Lazy Q rocks! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!