Author Topic: Accessories Recommendation  (Read 8430 times)

althomas

Accessories Recommendation
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:42:03 AM »
I am buying a #2 today. I will be ordering a cover with it as well. What else do you recommend for accessories?  Would like to leverage shipping cost by ordering some extras now if something is highly recommended.  Thanks
Aaron

Have been smokin for 10 years but just bought a #2.

Offset barrel smoker
Propane smoker
Weber charcoal grill

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Accessories Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:46:07 AM »
The cover is the key item for sure!   You could add in some wood, but the wood is a bit more expensive than other sites.    I have the rib rack for the #2 that I like - holds 3.5 racks of the ribs vertical in the smoker.    You will love the #2 ... I know I do!  Welcome aboard!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

althomas

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:56:36 AM »
Thanks Steve. I will get the rib hooks as well. Can I use standard wood chips I have used in my propane smoker?
Aaron

Have been smokin for 10 years but just bought a #2.

Offset barrel smoker
Propane smoker
Weber charcoal grill

Trip

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 10:05:51 AM »
cord hangars, I forgot to order those and now I am stuck because I don't want to pay shipping on  those things.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 10:10:49 AM »
If you think that you will ever do any cold smoking like cheese or fish, the cold plate would be worth getting now to save shipping costs. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 10:12:24 AM »
The cord hanger is nice, but I actually just wrap up my cord and sit it on the top of the smoker, then cover.  So, no sweat on the hanger!

I believe some folks have used wood chips on occasion, but most of us use the wood chunks...you will get a small bag with 4 hickory doles as part of the purchase.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 10:56:56 AM »
Fish racks for fish or smoked nuts.  Rib rack would be on my list if you ever cook more than two slabs. 
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »
I use the chip screen for every smoke. Highly recommend it for chunks, chips and pellets.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Limey

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 03:56:34 PM »
I agree with Arnie, the chip screen can be very helpful. Do not get the rib racks-they do not work very well and none of us use them. The cold plate is very helpful if you do cold smoking(cheese, fish) unless you buy an external smoke generator which is my preferred solution.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »
Thanks Steve. I will get the rib hooks as well. Can I use standard wood chips I have used in my propane smoker?

You can use the same chips, but I would consider buy some chucks from Fruitawood, Maine Grilling Woods and a new place Tony (DivotMaker) told us about Smokinlicious.com.

You will use so much less wood, I think it is worth while not to buy the stuff from Walmart.

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 04:10:57 PM »
Do not get the rib racks-they do not work very well and none of us use them.

I am not sure if you mean the rack or the rib hooks.  I have the rib rack (holds 3.5 racks in vertical position) and it works great for me.  Nice and compact, all of the ribs together on one rack in the smoker.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Limey

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 04:42:11 PM »
Steve, I misspoke, I meant the rib hooks which is what althomas said he was thinking of buying. The rib racks work fine although if you have the space I prefer to lay mine flat.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

mizzoufan

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 09:06:32 AM »
I gotta go with Limey on this one...especially for baby backs.  I did get a rib rack thinking it would be nice for larger parties but the one time I tried it, the fact that the ribs curved over and sorta layed on each other prevented a bark.  Then I doubled up on that by laying them out when I took the flat rack ribs out and smoking for another 30 minutes.  They turned out dry from being in there too long.

So, if I just didn't do something right, please let me know how to make that rib rack useful.  But unless I need to get more than 6 racks in my #2, I'll stick with laying them flat.
Steven from KCMO

coyote

• SI2
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 09:41:39 AM »
If you are ever going to get the cart, get the cover that fits the #2 and cart together , also get the fish rack, You will love the #2 it's great
Happy smoking!!!!!,
HAPPY SMOKIN,
ROLL TIDE,!

mizzoufan

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 09:45:11 AM »
seafood rack is great.  So far I've used it for burnt ends and times when I cut 1-2 ribs off of a rack to get them to fit.  I should have passed on the rib rack and gotten 2-3 extra seafood racks (comes with one).

But I'm thinking of an accessory order with those and a couple of the pepper/veggie holders.
Steven from KCMO