Author Topic: A Couple of butts and some moinks  (Read 4127 times)

RG

A Couple of butts and some moinks
« on: May 25, 2015, 01:43:38 PM »
I had some family over for the weekend, my daughter graduated high school. I smoked 2 butts, abts, and moinks. I also made a tray of bbq baked beans, cole slaw, and 60 cookies for dessert :)

I had the family captive and made 2 different butts and had them tell which one they liked best. Since y'all can't taste either, I am going to ask you which one that you think looks the best. I know it's silly but maybe you could entertain me nevertheless, lol. Maybe the pictures look different enough that you can tell which one you'd pull a piece from to eat first.

Butt #1

Butt #2

Here are some tasty moinks :P

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: A Couple of butts and some moinks
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 01:48:14 PM »
Hmm...this must be a trick question. ;)   Both look pretty darn good, but I think #1 may look a tad more moist (at least in pictures).  Can you re-post these with Smell-O-Vision installed?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 01:51:12 PM »
I will tell you this, one was cooked on the keg and one on the SI. After we get a few more to chime in, I will divulge which is which ;)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 02:06:15 PM »
First congrats go to your daughter first really big step!

Now the butts both look good, but it's hard to tell which one had more dripping and exactly which was more moist, I will go with #2.

Also the moinks look amazing!

Greg

Walt

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 10:13:32 PM »
#2 for me #1 looks a bit dry.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 10:48:56 PM »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 11:08:27 PM »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

RG

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 11:46:33 PM »
#1 was a little dry looking in that pic, it wasn't dry but it wasn't as moist as #2. #2 tasted better according to the panel of judges, lol. I had 7 judges including myself and we all picked #2.

#1 - Smoked on the Keg

#2 - Smoked on the #3

Shocker right? To you guys, I know it's not. To my judges and myself, it was a shocker to be honest. The Keg forum is dead silent, they don't like it, lol. I've made oodles of butts on the keg, this one wasn't up to par with the SI but usually they're better than it was this round. Not taking anything away from my #3 though. THIS little test has proved to my wife that I was NOT crazy for ordering it. I was smiling the whole time when folks were picking #2 because I knew it was from my good old #3 ;)

Thanks for your participation in this test. I love this kind of stuff!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 07:51:04 AM »
#1 was a little dry looking in that pic, it wasn't dry but it wasn't as moist as #2. #2 tasted better according to the panel of judges, lol. I had 7 judges including myself and we all picked #2.

#1 - Smoked on the Keg

#2 - Smoked on the #3

Shocker right? To you guys, I know it's not. To my judges and myself, it was a shocker to be honest. The Keg forum is dead silent, they don't like it, lol. I've made oodles of butts on the keg, this one wasn't up to par with the SI but usually they're better than it was this round. Not taking anything away from my #3 though. THIS little test has proved to my wife that I was NOT crazy for ordering it. I was smiling the whole time when folks were picking #2 because I knew it was from my good old #3 ;)

Thanks for your participation in this test. I love this kind of stuff!!!

Reminds me of a line from the Big Bang Theory -

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested- Sheldon :)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 07:34:10 PM »
Awesome test, Jason!  Does it count that I was intending to change my answer?? ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TexasSMK

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 08:37:40 PM »
#2--what's a moink?  Still got a lot of learning to do
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:39:47 PM by TexasSMK »
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber