Author Topic: Simple Dinner, Reuben  (Read 7748 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Simple Dinner, Reuben
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 08:00:24 AM »
I feel like I've hijacked Greg's thread here! Sorry Greg.

For the coffee rub, I either make my own (recipe to follow) or I use one made by Weber that I picked up at Sam's. It's very good, has a kick!

The recipe for mine (great on pork tenderloin BTW!) is this :

RG's Smoky Espresso Rub

1 Tbs brown sugar
1.5 tsps smoked paprika (regular paprika can be used but you'll really miss that smoked flavor if you don't use it)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon instant espresso granules or 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules (I use instant coffee, dollar store stuff)

This is a keeper, feel free to add a little cayenne to kick it up a notch, 1/4 tsp should do it.

Jason,

No worries, thanks for sharing the rub!

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 05:25:09 PM »
Thanks Jason. I would really like to try some of that coffee rub. I intend to try both. Coffee is a very different ingredient that is rarely used in rubs so it should be an interesting taste.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

RG

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2015, 07:56:44 PM »
Arnie & Greg, as you can see by the recipe, I make it in small batches. I don't use it often, but when I do I always wonder why I don't! It goes great with just about anything but really shines on pork tenderloin. I don't know why but it's magical! Coat your loin with a little oil then apply the rub and let marinate for a bit, about 15 minutes. You can cook it in a hot (medium high heat) lightly oiled pan to sear it, about 2 minutes per side or until nicely browned. Finish in a preheated oven, 425° for 20 minutes or until internal temp is 155°-160°. Remember there is carry over heat so it will still be cooking once removed from the oven. Nobody likes dry pork, lol. Remove pork from pan and let rest. Add a little water to pan to deglaze the drippings, scraping the bottom to loosen those nice bits of flavor. Serve a little drizzle of sauce over your sliced pork medallions.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 08:20:24 PM »
Arnie & Greg, as you can see by the recipe, I make it in small batches. I don't use it often, but when I do I always wonder why I don't! It goes great with just about anything but really shines on pork tenderloin. I don't know why but it's magical! Coat your loin with a little oil then apply the rub and let marinate for a bit, about 15 minutes. You can cook it in a hot (medium high heat) lightly oiled pan to sear it, about 2 minutes per side or until nicely browned. Finish in a preheated oven, 425° for 20 minutes or until internal temp is 155°-160°. Remember there is carry over heat so it will still be cooking once removed from the oven. Nobody likes dry pork, lol. Remove pork from pan and let rest. Add a little water to pan to deglaze the drippings, scraping the bottom to loosen those nice bits of flavor. Serve a little drizzle of sauce over your sliced pork medallions.

Hey Jason,

This looks excellent thanks for sharing.

Have a safe and fun holiday weekend.

Greg

RG

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 08:33:05 PM »
Thanks Greg! You do the same ;D

Barrel99

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 11:30:24 PM »
That tenderloin looks great Jason. Time to put it in the smoker. Thanks.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 03:27:43 PM »
Here's a coffee-based brisket rub from Phil, a member from early on.  He introduced me to coffee in a rub.  This recipe is good!

Phil's Texas-Style Brisket

I've been wanting to try the Weber coffee rub from Sam's.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 03:48:45 PM »
I add coffee to pumpernickel bread for flavor and color. Sounds like this will also help the bark, I will give this a try on pork.

Thanks for sharing.

Greg