Author Topic: Pork Butt  (Read 9552 times)

JB

Pork Butt
« on: May 20, 2015, 09:41:28 AM »
Hello All!  I just got my first smoker last week and am planning on doing a pork butt this weekend.  Looking over all the recipes and techniques has left me even more clueless than when I started looking into it.  My thoughts at this point is maybe someone with knowledge of the smokin-it smokers might be of better help to me than google.

Any direction you guys can offer is appreciated.  Some things I read say 4 hours, some say 12 hours.  Some say smoke the whole time some say smoke a few hours......needless to say I am confused.

paidin

Re: Pork Butt
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 10:27:03 AM »
I put 3 pork butts on yesterday at 12 noon.  It is now 9:25am and they are at 183 internal.  smoker is set at 225 degrees.  I used an AMNPS for the smoke portion which gives me about 12 hours of smoke.  I will update when done.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:41:31 AM »
Yeah, JB, it won't get any clearer here either.  We all do it differently and we all tend to be happy with our results.  I put the 5 - 6 oz. of wood in the Smokin-It and smoke at 235 for 3 to 4 hours and wrap.  Total cook time is usually under 1.5 hours per pound for 7 - 8 pound butts.  Smoking meat is like buying Fords or Chevys.  Pick something that looks comfortable to you and give it a try.  The more cooks you get under your belt the more you will have tweeked your own method to what you like. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:08:31 AM »
JB... use about 5-6 oz of wood, set the smoker somewhere around 225-235F, and expect the pork to go 2hrs/lb to get to an IT of 195F.    I recommend that you brine the butt for a good 12 hours or more before you rub and place in smoker.   Put a juice pan down by the wood box to keep a little extra moisture in the smoker.

Although I suggest allowing 2 hrs/lb for the butt to reach 195IT, it will likely take less time...this is unknown variable ... sometimes 1.5 hrs/lb, sometimes more.  Allow for the 2 hours so you can plan out the time and not find yourself at dinner with a butt that is not finished!   Also, factor in another 2 hours for a rest period after the butt is removed from the smoker - double wrap the butt in foil and put it in a cooler to rest, with some heavy towels.  If the butt finishes early, then you can extend the rest time.  This rest time is critical to let the juices redistribute through the meat before pulling.    So, for a 6lb butt, I will anticipate needing 14 hours from start to finish before serving.

Hope this helps...fire away with more questions!  Good luck!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

JB

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 01:14:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  Sounds like there really is not a set standard.

I do have one more question which is more smokin-it specific.  I expect I will smoke the butt 8-10 hours.  Should I add additional pieces of wood after say 4 hours?  I am using oak blocks from smokin-it.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 01:15:36 PM »
No, you don't need to add more wood.  The meat will accept the smoke until about 140IT, and you will reach that IT within the first three hours or so.  Good luck, and let us know how you make out!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 01:22:09 PM »
Tim,

Also note that too much wood can make your food taste bitter.

Greg

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 04:42:16 PM »
I expect I will smoke the butt 8-10 hours

You haven't been clear on what you are trying to make. I understand you have a pork butt, however how big is it? What is your goal, pulled pork, sliced smoked pork? Same cut of meat different cook times. Do you have corded thermometer to monitor the meat temp? If you do not then you should be going for pulled pork, multiply the weight of the meat by 1.75, convert that number to hours and you will have good food. To hit the sweet spot for sliced meat you need to be 155 to 175 depending on personal preference. Use a water pan or open beer near fire box on either smoke, I like 235. Good luck.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 08:10:44 PM »
JB,

The Boston butt is an excellent smoke, and not hard (very forgiving).  One thing I'd recommend is not to get one under 7-8 lbs - the larger cuts cook much better (and faster) than small hunks.  Here's a guide to my method, by brining the butt first:

Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork

Also, I might recommend you download the Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Wood.  Make sure you have a remote thermometer to monitor internal meat temperature - don't rely on time for a butt!  Smoke it to at least 192-195, double-wrap in heavy-duty foil, and let rest for an hour in an empty cooler (covered in towels).

Give us more details on what you're trying to accomplish, if this didn't cover it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 12:53:42 AM »
JB, if you weren't confused before, I'm sure you are now.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

TARDISgirl

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 01:49:13 AM »
JB, that smoking times guide is a great reference. I use it whenever I try something new. Not only does it have recommended times, but amount of wood.
Michelle from Arizona
Owner Model #1, #3, and Weber Q1000 (Small, but Mighty!)

paidin

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 10:19:13 PM »
I pulled my 3 butts out the next day at 10am.  That made it a 22 hour cook at 225 degrees and the final temp at that point was 190 degrees.  Had to get them to work to feed the employees for lunch.  Maybe next time, I will cook at 235 degrees and see what I get.  The Auber held temps rock steady. 

all 3 were juicy and tasty.

the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

JB

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 01:13:07 PM »
Confused yes!

Never really thought about whether I would shred it or slice it......guess I will see what I get.

I don't have a thermometer.  But I do have a game plan and will post some pics.  I am going to brine it in salt/sugar for 10-12 hours.  Following that I am going to start the smoking at 6am.  I have a 6.5# boston butt.  I will rub it with some mustard and a rub before putting it in.
I plan on not opening the door to look at it until 2-3pm.  At that point I guess it will either come out and rest wrapped in foil and a cooler for 1.5 hours or cook to a maximum of 5pm.  I am planning on starting the smoking at 225 and if it looks like it needs to be turned up will adjust from 2pm to 4pm at 245.

I think its going to work.....if not it will be a starting point and I will make sure I have a cooler of beer on hand!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »
JB,

Unless you are doing ribs (cook by time) you really need to invest in a thermometer. If price is the only consideration at least buy an Instant-Read Thermometer (which you will have to open the door to do a reading). But the best thing to have, if you are going to have just one would be a wireless thermometer, a lot of us use Maverick's. You can pick up a Maverick starting at around $35.00 or so. Lowes and Homedepot also stock both types, but I normally buy mine on Amazon.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 01:53:56 PM »
JB,
225 isn't going to get it done.  Bump to 235 - 240 from the start.  When you open the door at 12:00 - 1:00, wrap in foil and continue to cook until 3:30-4:00, if you want to eat around 5:00.  It's the only way you have a chance of having it for dinner tonight and be very tender.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah