Author Topic: Drip pan for bottom  (Read 6056 times)

evvo

Drip pan for bottom
« on: May 14, 2015, 03:52:55 PM »
I've had two smokes in my shiny #2, and now I'm thinking about finding a nice cookie sheet to put in the bottom to simplify cleanup.
Has anyone else gone this route or is everyone just putting foil on the bottom?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Drip pan for bottom
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 04:16:07 PM »
Wouldn't the cookie sheet block the hole on the bottom?   When I use foil, I punch a hole in the foil so drippings can run out into the drip pan.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 07:21:12 PM »
Just foil the bottom, and poke a hole in the air/drip hole.  Cookie sheet = trouble!  Don't reinvent this particular wheel - we've tried all sorts of things, and this is a bad one.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 08:09:41 PM »
+1
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 08:30:51 PM »
I haven't figured out how but grease gets under my foil every time I have a wet smoke.  I'm still willing to experiment on this topic. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 09:44:49 PM »
I haven't figured out how but grease gets under my foil every time I have a wet smoke.  I'm still willing to experiment on this topic.

I've wondered the same thing, Dave, but have finally decided that it must be from the greasy, moist air that collects on the sides of the box, and runs down under the foil (since it isn't sealed against the sides and back).  That's my theory, at least! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Durangosmoker

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 12:30:15 AM »
Thank You! I thought I was doing something wrong which was causing grease to get under my foil on the bottom of the smoker (which I am sure to punch a hole in for air/drippings).  I thought maybe it spattered onto the walls and ran down the sides and under the foil, but wasn't sure. Cleans up easily enough with hot water and a sponge, but it is nice to know that I'm not alone in having this happen.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 09:21:10 AM »
Yeah, this is normal. I sometimes have problems where it causes the foil to stick to the bottom during cleanup as well. I just try to soapy water clean it up afterwards. Sometimes I use a scraper to get the stuck foil off the bottom.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Barrel99

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 11:37:56 PM »
Divot +1. Definitely the moisture.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

pargolfr2003

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 07:26:26 AM »
Sounds like we've all seen this issue, myself included. I used some WD40 and a putty knife to scrape it off then wipe it down with soapy water and a sponge and it worked fine. At the end of the day it' a smoker, not a surgical ward so no big deal.
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 01:34:38 PM »
At the end of the day it' a smoker, not a surgical ward so no big deal.

+1! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 09:51:53 PM »
Lack of effort in cleaning has little affect on the outcome of your meals. From mid November through March I did not clean or wipe out my #3. The only maintenance I did was empty the drip pan and wire brush the grates. My smoker was running all winter long.

While it did look neglected when warm weather returned to us it was not damaged and as I said no meal tasted like it suffered. The sooner you get over the "It has to stay clean and shinny phase the more relaxing your smoking can be.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 12:08:42 AM »
PorkBelly +1
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 07:49:39 PM »
Lack of effort in cleaning has little affect on the outcome of your meals. From mid November through March I did not clean or wipe out my #3. The only maintenance I did was empty the drip pan and wire brush the grates. My smoker was running all winter long.

While it did look neglected when warm weather returned to us it was not damaged and as I said no meal tasted like it suffered. The sooner you get over the "It has to stay clean and shinny phase the more relaxing your smoking can be.

So true!  I do, however, like clean shelves.  If the smoker got hot enough to really burn off the excess from the last smoke, it would be one thing, but it doesn't.  Nothing like putting raw meat on a nice, clean rack. :D
Tony from NW Arkansas