Author Topic: Smoked Corn Bread  (Read 17827 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Smoked Corn Bread
« on: April 26, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »
Has anyone tried making corn bread in their smoker?

Thanks Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Smoked Corn Bread
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 04:40:32 PM »
No, but I'm definitely intrigued! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 04:53:25 PM »
If no one chimes in, I will just give it a go. I am thinking about 250 degrees for 1 hour.

For the smoke apple or cherry wood .5 - 1 oz.

I will plan to use my quick and easy Trader Joe's cornbread mix with 1/8 teaspoon of Minorcan Hot Datil Powder for sweet heat!

Greg

TexasSMK

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 06:53:34 PM »
Never heard of one doing this--looking forward to your results.
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 07:03:33 PM »
Cast iron cook? In smoker?  Just curious.
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 07:16:07 PM »
Cast iron cook? In smoker?  Just curious.

That would be an option, for cast I would most likely heat it up first. For the first pass, I will most likely use Pyrex or a ceramic, I may or may not heat it first in the oven.

Greg 

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 07:45:05 PM »
It will be interesting to see how it turns out. At that temperature you won't get the browning you are used to I would think.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:01:04 PM »
It will be interesting to see how it turns out. At that temperature you won't get the browning you are used to I would think.

I agree at 250 degrees I would not expect the browning, but hopefully the smoke flavor will make up the difference.

My first pass in the next day or so... 2 test batches.

The wheels are still turning... Maybe smoke for 30 minutes and then finish in the oven at 400 degrees.....

I will let you know either way, if this is a doer or something that you should really pass on!

Greg

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 01:22:12 AM »
Interesting. I'm curious to see how this turns out as well.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 12:42:47 PM »
Cornbread test almost complete.

I decided to run two batches of cornbread just in case I had the smoke or the time wrong. Originally I thought the smoke would take around 60 minutes, so that was my starting point.

I decided to use the Trade Joe' cornbread mix along with 1/8 teaspoon Datil pepper, see info below on the pepper.

For the first smoke I used apple wood 20 grams (.7 oz.), no water pan. Total time in smoker 1 hour and 22 minutes. *Note I used the toothpick test at 60 minutes and while it did come out clean, I noticed that the cornbread was not pulling away from the side of pan yet.

I allowed this batch to cool and then cut. The cornbread was moist and had a nice mild smoke flavor, along with the sweet/heat in taste that the pepper added.

Right now I have in the second batch, this time I will be smoking with Black Cherry. I will post the results once it comes out of the smoker and cools.

Datils are similar in strength to habaneros but have a sweeter, fruitier flavor. Their level of spiciness may vary from 100,000 to 300,000 on the Scoville scale. Mature peppers are about 3.5 in long and yellow-orange in color.

Datil peppers are cultivated throughout the United States and elsewhere, but the majority are produced in St. Augustine, Florida. Although local lore suggests datils were brought to St. Augustine by indentured workers from Minorca in the late 18th century, it is more likely they were brought from Chile around 1880 by a jelly maker named S. B. Valls.

Greg
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 01:21:57 PM by gregbooras »

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 01:42:23 PM »
Looks good, why stop at corn bread!  I see a birthday cake in the future.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 01:44:04 PM »
Wow Greg, that turned out better than I suspected it would. I will have to give this a try.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 02:09:27 PM »
Wow Greg, that turned out better than I suspected it would. I will have to give this a try.

Instead of using the Datils, you could also add some of your favorite salsa.

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 02:16:04 PM »
I smoked my second batch of cornbread with 20 grams of black cherry wood. Pulled from the smoker at 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cooled for 20 minutes and then the taste test...

Second batch had more pronounced smoke flavor and was more moist than the first batch. I will test the two side by side once they have a chance to site for a while. I am interested to taste the difference from the apple wood and the cherry wood.

The end result is that 20 grams of wood seems just right, with a smoke time of around 1 hour and 10 minutes!

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 10:11:28 PM »
Great experiment, Greg!  Quite the "pioneer" spirit!  I'm a Southern traditionalist about cornbread - nothing but a hot cast iron pan in the oven!  Unfortunately, the SIs just don't get hot enough for the way I cook cornbread, but that's OK. ;)   Some things, imo, are just left to tradition.  No one beat me up - I'm just sayin' ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!