Author Topic: first smoke, ribs!  (Read 7009 times)

greg7878

first smoke, ribs!
« on: April 12, 2015, 03:42:25 PM »
i seasoned the smoker friday, picked up some ribs from sams club yesterday and smoked them today.  I used some yellow mustard to bind the rub, rubbed and wrapped in plastic, re-wrapped in foil, and let sit for about 12 hours.  then i used 3 oz of wood, hickory and cherry, and a small loaf pan with apple juice.  I put strips of thick cut bacon on the top and i smoked for 4 hours at about 235, (whatever the notch after 225 is on smoker knob) and then i pulled them.  i added sweet baby rays to half of the ribs and foiled, and added 1/4 cup apple juice to other half and foiled.  i then put back in for 2 hours.  all in all really good for my first smoke in the model 1 and only 2nd time making ribs.  i think i could've gone another hour before i wrapped them and maybe a little longer after they were foiled.  as for smoke, not as much as i thought there'd be but it was there.  if i went with just hickory that would've made a heavier flavor, or a little more wood but less is more right.  it's a learning process for sure and i wasn't expecting much so i was pleasantly surprised.  i think a few more test runs and i'll have a better understanding of the settings and how this smoker operates.  i attached a picture of the finished products, minus a few ribs.  thanks for all the help and the recipes posted on here, it helps to have some insight from other users.  this forum and this smoker are great!  happy smokin everyone and i'll be posting more success stories as they come.

greg
greg7878

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: first smoke, ribs!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 03:52:17 PM »
Looks like you are off to a great start, keep posting.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 04:59:08 PM »
Fantastic!  Fine lookin' bones! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 05:01:03 PM »
Try the next batch "no peeky" (no foil).  You'll be pleasantly surprised with the bark!  Be sure to use yellow mustard as a binder, then apply your rub.  No need for the remove/foil/cook more steps!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 05:20:07 PM »
Well done...you are off and smok'in!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

greg7878

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 05:46:08 PM »
Try the next batch "no peeky" (no foil).  You'll be pleasantly surprised with the bark!  Be sure to use yellow mustard as a binder, then apply your rub.  No need for the remove/foil/cook more steps!
Next time i'm definitely going to try not foiling or looking early until i think they might be done.  also, i won't use bacon on the top, even though they turned out really good, to help with creating more bark.  I'm looking forward to trying different ways of smoking.
greg7878

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 08:44:46 PM »
That's the spirit, Greg!  We all learn through open-minded experimentation! 
Tony from NW Arkansas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 09:21:11 PM »
The bacon idea is interesting idea to add extra flavor and dripping!
I have made loin stuffed with rice and wrapped in bacon in the past, I will try it again soon.

Greg.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 05:23:54 PM »
I think you will be pleased with the "no peeky" method.  I switched a while back and use this method every time I am smoking ribs.   Keeps me in the "Lazy Q" state of mind.   ;D
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Shmokan

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 08:26:16 PM »
230 deg no peek for 5 1/2 hrs works perfect for the St. Louis style ribs.
(However I have since bought a 3rd rack for the #1 and wondering if one should switch top and bottom racks around so bottom doesn't get to done. Or just let'em go).
Brad from Wisconsin

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 10:15:46 PM »
230 deg no peek for 5 1/2 hrs works perfect for the St. Louis style ribs.
(However I have since bought a 3rd rack for the #1 and wondering if one should switch top and bottom racks around so bottom doesn't get to done. Or just let'em go).

Since you have to cut racks in half, with the #1, just put the thickest cuts on the bottom rack, next thickest on the middle, and thinnest on top.  I do 3 racks in the #1 at a time, and that's how I do it.  Comes out great, every time!!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Shmokan

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 07:45:27 PM »
Thanks Tony ya just saved me a peek.     ;)
Brad from Wisconsin

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 07:59:47 PM »
No problem, Brad!  Lots of trial and error! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas