Author Topic: Light smoking  (Read 1755 times)

MarkF

Light smoking
« on: April 11, 2015, 11:12:06 AM »
Tried a new thing yesterday. I was making Pastrami and Roast Beef for a deli bar party tonight and wanted to keep the smoke on the light side. Put 1.5 oz of apple chips in the ole #2 and set the temp to 140. Like cold smoking, left it for an hour then turned it up to 230. Worked perfectly... Just a hint of smoke. I am curious if anyone else has tried something like this or am I just blowing smoke (sorry, had to say that!).

Can't post a picture as they are tightly wrapped in foil in the fridge getting ready for the slicer.
One with too many toys.....
Smokin-it #2, #3
Weber Kettle One Touch Gold, Smokey Joe Gold
Chargriller Outlaw with SFB
Camerons Stove Top Smoker

Longhornamus

Re: Light smoking
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 11:18:08 AM »
Have not tried it myself, but it sounds like I might have to give it a try.
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

Walt

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 12:56:25 PM »
I use light smoke when combining cultural flavors with smoke. As an example, a light smokey flavor merged with the predominant flavors of Italian cusine works very well. However, it can be used to add depth of flavor to almost anything. The key is to make sure its light enough to not obscure or muddle the original flavors.

Also, one of my most common cooks is to par smoke a chicken for 2 hours @ 225 or a butt for 3 or 4 hours, then put in a Dutch oven and braise with onions, garlic & (chicken stock for the chicken) & or white wine until the protein is falling apart.  Great by itself or on tacos, or as the base for a soup, or pot pie or shepherds pie, etc.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:01:14 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »
I make a Guinness Beef Stew and have been thinking about smoking for 1-2 hours and then put back in the dutch oven with the rest of the ingredients and finishing.

I will give it a try and let you know.

Thanks Greg