Author Topic: Hello from Georgia!  (Read 4207 times)

RG

Hello from Georgia!
« on: March 30, 2015, 06:13:57 PM »
Hi Folks, I am a grill/smoker addict and I just ordered a #3 to add to my collection. I have been waiting for the face book discount to work and grew impatient and caved and ordered it just a few moments ago. I was afraid that they would sell out. From what I've read they go quickly, lol. Although I feel bummed about missing out on a discount to offset the ginormous shipping bill, I'll feel better once I get my hands on it :D

I am new to electric smoking. I have 2 Big Steel Kegs and a Traeger and make damn good food on those. How does the food from the Smokin-It smokers compare?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your comments!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Hello from Georgia!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 07:33:26 PM »
Hey RG,

Welcome from Saint Augustine FL and congrats on your purchase.

You have just bought an amazing smoker and you will be impressed. I have used electric smokers, lp smoker and my biggest investment grill dome, much like a big green egg only better. After 13 years with a high end ceramic smoker the Smokin-It smokers at top notch.

I looked at a lot of smokers before I pulled the trigger and ended up with the #2.

You will worry less and have more time to relax have a beer or soda and have a really great product in the end.

Take time to read as many of the forum threads as you can, tons of info here and everyone is more than willing to share.

Welcome

Greg

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:59:14 PM »
Send Steve a message tonight letting him know you ordered. Let him know you tried and failed to get the %5 through facebook. Ask the %5 or a bunch of wood or something.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

RG

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:51:41 PM »
PB, I e-mailed him and said "feel free to throw in $25.00 of goodies in the box if you like, lol"

I just couldn't wait any longer, I am impatient that way I suppose.

Greg, I am used to sleeping while I smoke. I have been using an Auber on my kegs for years and the Traeger is also set it and forget it, so the Lazy Q comes naturally ;D

Thanks for the warm welcome, I can't wait to post some cooks on here!

I belong to the Big Steel Keg forum as well (I'm a Moderator) and as I told them (most of them not on board with electric smokers mind you) that I plan on doing a smoker royal rumble. SI#3 vs. Keg vs. Traeger to see how they compare. Should be fun!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 10:10:04 PM »
RG,

Your post makes me smile, you are a great addition to the family.

I look forward to not only see your posts but some great recipes.

Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 10:30:27 PM »
I'd bet after your review, the rumblings with be even greater.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 11:06:43 PM »
Congrats, RG!  Nice to have another mod on board here!  I know you'll really shake things up over there!  We had a mod from Let's Talk BBQ here for awhile (#3 owner), but he had to bow-out due to his duties over there.  He was highly-impressed with his #3, and shook things up over at his regular forum! 

I think you will be impressed with what you'll be able to do.  Many of us come from different disciplines, and are thoroughly impressed with the SI results. 

Let us know how it goes, and I look forward to hearing about the rumble! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 09:25:09 PM »
Welcome from AZ.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

RG

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 07:55:16 AM »
Welcome from AZ.
One of my oldest friends lives in Phoenix as does my oldest brother. They say it's hard to find good 'cue in Arizona, PM me your address and I'll send'em your way ;)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »
About as close as I can give you would be Fort Huachuca. A better idea would be for your friend and your brother to jump on the SI band wagon. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

RG

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 07:05:24 PM »
About as close as I can give you would be Fort Huachuca. A better idea would be for your friend and your brother to jump on the SI band wagon.

They don't have it in them, lol. They love to eat BBQ but even with the SI they wouldn't make the time to do it. Sad really :o

puddle jumper

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 07:57:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum from North Georgia,
 I'm up in Calhoun, and have had smokers of all kinds and my #2 is my go to smoker now still use it once a week after several years of cooking, to the point I'm going to sell my custom reverse flow stick burner, I just don't use it anymore,lol I look forward to seeing your cooker showdown.. 8)
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

RG

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 04:19:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum from North Georgia,
 I'm up in Calhoun, and have had smokers of all kinds and my #2 is my go to smoker now still use it once a week after several years of cooking, to the point I'm going to sell my custom reverse flow stick burner, I just don't use it anymore,lol I look forward to seeing your cooker showdown.. 8)
PJ

It's brewing in my mind right now! I just have to figure out what I am going to smoke for the showdown! I might do butts (even though I know what they taste like from each unit). I have 4 in the freezer, lol. I possibly have some relatives coming over soon so that would be a big panel of taste testers doing a blind judge on each. That might be the ticket!!