Author Topic: #2 in a condo setting  (Read 5552 times)

wpien

#2 in a condo setting
« on: March 22, 2015, 08:23:25 PM »
Hi everyone, newbie to smokers and currently doing some research, almost decided on the #2  :) I plan to use this in a townhouse/condo setting and wanted to understand how much smoke does this smoker produce. Will it cover the smoking area in a haze? Cause neighbors to panic or reach annoyance level ? :) I tried googling around and was able to find a video where it showed the smoker in a breaking in smoke, and it didn't seem too bad...but not sure if this is representative of normal operation. Any guidance or advice appreciated.

-will

bigbassnutt

Re: #2 in a condo setting
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 09:22:56 PM »
I don't think it would be offensive to your neighbors. Not like a stick burner.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 10:05:27 PM »
If your condo association allows charcoal grills, your #2 will produce less smell / smoke than that. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 11:05:51 PM »
Smoke (haze) is usually gone in two hours.   I use mine under a covered/mesh enclosed deck, its not as bad as you might believe.

If they allow charcoal grills electric or propane? (which was mentioned before) there should be no prob. 

If you live in one of those "areas" of wacko food, vegan, 8 foot snow falls is causing climate change, Al Gore for President rants then you might have a problem with the smoker no matter what veggie or bunny is inside.

PS, Sorry had to, happy cooking.

John

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 07:26:17 AM »
Do you live on the top floor?  If so, no problem.  If you live on a bottom floor, then some smoke will reach the neighbors above you.  The smoke is most heavy (but not bad) for the first hour or so, then you will not see a lot of smoke.   Your neighbors will know that you are smoking meat, so get ready for company!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jbauch357

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 04:27:40 PM »
The smoke can get pretty heavy, which I'm sure would piss off neighbors who like to keep their windows open.  Then the smell of amazing smoked meats can get pretty heavy too, maybe some payoff with smoked meats will lead them to not be so worried about the smoke smell.
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 04:50:03 PM »
Hi everyone, newbie to smokers and currently doing some research, almost decided on the #2  :) I plan to use this in a townhouse/condo setting and wanted to understand how much smoke does this smoker produce. Will it cover the smoking area in a haze? Cause neighbors to panic or reach annoyance level ? :) I tried googling around and was able to find a video where it showed the smoker in a breaking in smoke, and it didn't seem too bad...but not sure if this is representative of normal operation. Any guidance or advice appreciated.

-will

When I lived in the Midwest we had a local BBQ place that smoked some amazing ribs. But over time some of the neighbors started complaining to the city about the smoke smell and it looked like they might close down. Well the owner was no dummy so once a month or so he would deliver fresh ribs to the neighbors. Good figure the complaints stopped, my take is buy the smoker and make sure to share with your neighbors.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 07:34:34 PM »
Far less smoke than any BBQ grill.  The thin, blue smoke tapers off in the first couple of hours, then you mostly have steam coming out the top hole (that smells absolutely incredible, btw).  Make enough to share with any neighbor that notices, and you'll be fine! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 07:41:54 PM »
Depends on your Condo Commandos and neighbors.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 08:39:32 PM »
Kevin,

I was the president for six years in a association with over 180 homes and the key here is to check the by-laws. Like others said if you can have a grill on your deck, you should be fine!

Greg

wpien

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 10:31:42 PM »
Grilling is definitely allowed, there're some pretty heavy duty bbq grills around the complex, and nothing in the hoa bylaws to disallow it. The unit is two floors, so the impacted neighbors would be to my left and right. Would definitely be happy to pay the sharing tax. I think one of them is vegetarian though, I'd have to work on converting them to meat first :D

Thanks for the responses everyone!

1stlink

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 06:25:54 AM »
We cannot have LPG or Charcoal (condo & FL law) but electric is allowed. My condo is on the top floor(4th) and I have no problem at all with smoking although depending on wind direction, I do use a small fan to help jettison the smoke from my lanai.
I would doubt that adjoining neighbors would be a problem as smoke goes up mostly and like others have said, it will only smoke for less than 2 hours generally.
Luvin my Model #2 and Condo living...  :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:04:30 AM by 1stlink »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 09:41:40 AM »

-will

Will I was going to shoot a video of the smoke coming out of my #2 for you, but remembered seeing some on youtube take a lot at the following two videos and you will see the smoke is very little. Heck when I fire up my $1000.00 lp grill and add pellets, man or man there is smoke :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fn6fV0WQL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i36Jz9410xo

Hopes this helps!

Greg

wpien

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 12:47:44 AM »
the videos helped, thanks!

jdwoods

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 05:00:33 PM »
Hey Will,

I know I am a few days late to this thread, but I live in a condo setting on the ground floor. Our HOA does not allow for charcoal grills, so a stick burner was obviously out of the question. The HOA does allow for propane grills, so I figured an electric smoker should be fine.

I noticed on the initial "break-in" smoke that my #2 produced a lot of smoke. Like others have noted, the smoke production was most "heavy" during from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours in. I was very nervous that somebody may complain. Nobody did, thankfully.

Since then, I have made 2 changes:
I now smoke on our building's roof in a semi hidden area. It is now barely noticeable to any of the neighboring residents. I feel a lot more comfortable with this location for my smokes.

Also, I have started the "foil boat" trick. This trick reduces combustion in the early minutes of the smoke, which I believe reduces smoke production. I may bring the smoker down to my 1st floor deck and try another smoke using this method.

Good luck on your journey.

JDW
Los Angeles. Born and raised.
Smoking since 2015. Model #2.