Author Topic: Overnight Cold Smoke  (Read 6497 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Overnight Cold Smoke
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:17:53 AM »
Eight days ago I started a 3 lb section of belly with dry cure and cane syrup. I put it in the #3 last night at 10:30 planing for at least 12 hours of cold smoke at 80 using 3 oz of small bits of Hazelnut. I checked it's progress this morning as I didn't see much more than a wisp of smoke. I replenished the fire -box with 3oz of Hazelnut, one 2oz hunk and another ounce split into pencil diameter slivers. I will turn the heat up to 175 until an IT of 150. I really like the color I get from the Cane Syrup and Hazelnut. If you can get some hazelnut wood you should try it.

The paper towel in in the picture from drying a great deal of condensation off the meat it got down to 24 last night.I dried the bacon off for the pictures.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:22:19 AM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Overnight Cold Smoke
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 01:39:52 PM »
Went a total of 12 hours with the cold smoke then bumped the #3 up to 200. After 2 hours of hot smoke it finished at 150 IT.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:19:42 PM by Pork Belly »
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 09:47:02 AM »
Brian, do you then fry this up like breakfast bacon or do other things with it?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 12:04:28 AM »
Yea it's bacon...
- Sigmund Freud

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 12:44:03 AM »
Hey Brian,
     When you do the cold smoke, am curious if you use a cold plate and plastic water bottle full of ice? Since it is still warm, I did find some pork bellies here in Kansas City. But, they were frozen and did not get a good look at one. They look thick on one side but thin on the other. Next time I buy will tell them I want them more uniform. But, am going to use your recipe for the cure just waiting on the insta cure #1 as had to by it online. Will also add maple syrup and brown sugar to the zip lock bag. I have a #1 and also a #3, I intend on using the #3 for the bacon smoke.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 08:20:52 AM »
Brian as always it looks great, can't wait to see what it looks like sliced.

Greg

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 08:55:40 AM »
I haven't bought a cold plate, I should but I'm cheap. I typically only cold smoke in cool and cold weather so I don't have to battle the ambient heat.

I cold smoke at temps 100 or below, typically 80 on the SI. I do run the #3 hot until I see smoke (door open) then turn down the temp and close the door. I use either chips or pencil size slivers of log never blocks or chunks.

Good luck, and I wouldn't worry about a uneven belly it will still taste good.
- Sigmund Freud

elkins20

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 11:15:06 AM »
Thanks Brian, also could you send me the post listing that shows the pork bellie that you had applied the cure to. In one of your post is said was your first one. But, have looked at most of your posts and could not find that photo. I know you said not to cake it on, but also do not want to not have enough cure on the bacon. Thanks for your help.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »
Brian, porkilicious as usual!  :) I have used your dry cure a bunch of times and the results are fantastic! Which reminds me, I am running out of bacon and need to do more.... I had some "premium" store bought the other day and it tasted like cardboard. Once you try the real thing you never go back!  :D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 12:36:11 PM »
Bill  http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1797.15

The Picture are there, page#1 i think, look at all the posts
- Sigmund Freud

elkins20

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 06:59:05 PM »
Thanks Brian, now I have an idea of how heavy to make the cure to the meat. I am waiting on the insta cure #1 to arrive. Could not find it locally and where I purchased my bellies they did not have it. I asked the butcher if he could give me a few ounces and he said was too dangerous. I said really how am I supposed to cure without it. He just shook his head.