Author Topic: Auber placement while smoking?  (Read 5305 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Auber placement while smoking?
« on: March 15, 2015, 09:49:30 PM »
How many of you place the Auber on your smoker and how many place it somewhere else?  I've always placed it on top of my smoker.  Now that the weather has gotten warm here, my last couple of smokes have produced some wacky results and wondered if it was because the Auber was getting too warm.  I'm going to try setting it on a table alongside the smoker next time and see if it acts any different.  So, unofficial poll, where are you setting the Auber during the smoke? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

coachB

Re: Auber placement while smoking?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 11:13:44 PM »
I've got a #3 Dave, also the cart so the Auber placement has been on the side table closest to my GFI outlet.  This also allows me to put a cardboard box over the Auber to prevent condensation on overnight smokes and light rainfall.  The box is about the same size as the shelf so I can have it hang partially over the back of the shelf and there is enough airflow that overheating is not a problem.  It has worked so well that I think I will cover the box with plastic for heavier rainfall protection or find a plastic tub that can be modified to serve the purpose.

I know you have a #4 so you wouldn't have the cart side tables.  What I have done wouldn't be of any help to you. Might be of some use to owners of 1, 2, or 3's.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

Carp210

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 12:22:35 AM »
I have a #2 that sits on a 5 ft stainless steel table so I put my Auber beside the smoker and still have some work area.  I'm also under a patio roof that works out great in bad weather and offers some shade.  what kind of problems you are having with your Auber.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:08:50 AM by Carp210 »
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 10:18:57 AM »
I have a #2 that sits on a 5 ft stainless steel table so I put my Auber beside the smoker and still have some work area.  I'm also under a patio roof that works out great in bad weather and offers some shade.  what kind of problems you are having with your Auber.
2 smokes ago, I had a very similar experience as you with temperature swings way past and way below my set point.  But unlike your smoke, it never did recover and lock in on the right temp.  On this weekends turkey smoke, I pulled the turkey at 162, prior to the 165 norm that most claim to use, and the bird had the carp cooked out of it.  I brined for 24 hours, used water pan and still had areas of breast that were sawdust like.  So, not getting the control / results from the Auber that I'm expecting nor happy with. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 10:46:13 AM »
Dave, I have mine on a covered deck and the Auber is placed next to the smoker. I don't have those swings. Have you tried to retune and see if that helps? Otherwise a call to Auber might be in order....  :(
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Carp210

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 11:37:23 AM »
Dave
I'm new to the Auber and electric smokers but I'll keep a log on each smoke until  I'm 99% sure it is working up to my high standards.  I did a simulated smoke, baby back and a chicken so far and was amazed at the accuracy of the Auber so far.  I put my Maverick probe on a clip on the top shelf within a inch of my fixed probe.  I logged temperatures through out the cook every 15 minutes (sometimes 5 min.)  Auber always was within one or two degrees of the maverick.  Auber ramped up and stopped right on program with no overshoot.  On the chicken I put the Auber meat probe in left side of breast and Maverick in the right.  Pulled at 165 and to my disbelief both probes read exactly the same temp all through the smoke.  If your not doing it yet you may want to start a Cooker log so you'll have some hard data to compare.  Maybe it was just a bad turkey.  Every so often you get that piece of meat that is just does not cook like it is supposed to.   
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

paidin

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:11:12 PM »
I put a plastic lid from my mixing tub on top of my auber.  Until I find a better solution, this seems like a great way to keep water out of it and maintain airflow.  and I can see whats going on from my couch lol.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

1stlink

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »
Paiden, 1 picture is worth a thousand words. I'm really liking your approach!  ;D

paidin

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 10:07:48 PM »
Ralph, I have not come up with anything better yet.  I still use the same cover and still set it up the same way.  I sure wish I had a covered deck though :)
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 10:43:45 PM »
To everyone with an Auber -  I definitely recommend keeping the unit of the smoker cart shelf, or on a side table, OFF the top of your smoker.  The unit has a large heat sink on the bottom for a reason:  Heat is the enemy of the Auber!  If anyone is experiencing "strange" behavior out of their Auber, and normally set it on top of the smoker, move it off to the side and see if your problems still occur. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

1stlink

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 06:30:07 AM »
I totally agree that heat is the enemy with the Aubur and they warn of it in their manual. Keep it out of the  Direct sunlight.
 Too much $$ invested to abuse.

es1025

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 01:14:22 PM »
I tuck the auber and my temp remote under my outdoor sofa away from the direct sunlight. I always keep it away from the smoker.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?