Author Topic: Stacking wood??  (Read 3076 times)

aspenextreme03

Stacking wood??
« on: March 14, 2015, 04:15:36 PM »
Anyone stack their wood chunks to get a longer burn?  Was thinking this as i seasoned my model 2 today. Maybe it has already been discussed but since they are stacked and separate pieces as soon as the upper one burnt down the one on top would drop down. Might delay the burning for a little bit depending on the temp set. 
Eric from Marietta, GA
Smokin-It Model 2, Weber Genesis & Blackstone Pizza Oven

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Stacking wood??
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 05:10:24 PM »
There is a lot of mind games we play with ourselves.  Whether it makes a difference, who the heck knows.  I stack a couple of my chunks.  I also do what I've described as a phased or stage burn where I start with a little sawdust or pellets and work my way up in sizes so that when the little stuff is just burning out, the next size is starting.  Again, a mental game I use to believe I'm getting better smoke.  LOL! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

aspenextreme03

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 05:30:01 PM »
I thought so but the ribs i did today i put in 2.5 ounces. Smoked for over 3 hours at 225 so not bad. First time smoke ever so i am sure i will be good.
Eric from Marietta, GA

Barrel99

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 05:47:12 PM »
Eric, you might want to check this out as well. It is Daves "progressive burn", my terminology, that is the only way I smoke now. It really has worked well for me. I do use the chip screen.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2773.msg20154#msg20154
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

aspenextreme03

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 06:32:57 PM »
Thanks and i will check that out
Eric from Marietta, GA