Author Topic: Cover alternatives  (Read 13356 times)

tsax6010

Re: Cover alternatives
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 07:22:02 AM »
Eric, are you using the cord hook on the back of the smoker too?
- Dana
NE Ohio
Smokin-It Model 2, Lion Premium Grills L90000

aspenextreme03

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »
No i am not. I just wrap it up and lay it under the smoker when not in use. I did not see the need for the hook honestly. If you have it i doubt the cover will fit well.
Eric from Marietta, GA
Smokin-It Model 2, Weber Genesis & Blackstone Pizza Oven

1stlink

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 11:49:07 AM »
I use a Weber cover that covers the SI2 as well as the SS equipment stand that it is on. ($20) My smoker is under roof cover but sun and dust are still a bit of a problem. It is far from a perfect fit and it ain't real pretty but it serves the purpose at a reasonable cost.  :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10924694

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 09:54:20 PM »
Good improv, Ralph! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

1stlink

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 07:10:36 AM »
 It works but the SI has very sharp corners so I'm not sure how long it will last

tsax6010

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 08:26:53 AM »
After pricing out material to make my own cover (well, have my lovely wife sew a custom cover) using Sunbrella Marine grade fabric was going to be about $65.

I came across a seller on Amazon making custom covers for grills and reached out to him. He is able to make a custom Sunbrella cover for $85. I also asked for a vinyl liner to be sewn into the top to double make sure no water gets in the blow hole, and also requested that the vertical seams be double lined with fabric to make sure they don't rip on the sharp corners of the smoker taking the cover off. The cover will also be slightly taller than the factory one to allow for a bit of protection from rain filling the drip tray and allow for a sewn in bungee cord to tighten down the cover.

I did see that currently the SI cover is free shipping and looks to be a new design without the logo, but for marine grade Sunbrella, Ohio company, made in the USA - I think this is a good deal. I will post pics when it arrives. They said it should only take 2-3 days to make and ship. The company's website is http://www.northstarproductsinc.com/ in case anyone else is interested.
- Dana
NE Ohio

1stlink

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 08:43:09 AM »
Sounds like a winner Dana... looking forward to the pics.  :)

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 09:47:06 PM »
Cool, Dana!  I figured someone would eventually find a custom maker! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

tsax6010

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 12:44:09 PM »
Finally had some time to take some photos of the custom cover. Looks great and seems to be very good quality. I took a photo of the inside as well to show the clear vinyl liner under the top.
- Dana
NE Ohio

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 12:56:54 PM »
Finally had some time to take some photos of the custom cover. Looks great and seems to be very good quality. I took a photo of the inside as well to show the clear vinyl liner under the top.

Looks great!

Greg

1stlink

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2015, 01:45:10 PM »
Also Looks like a winner Dana  :)

Nice pics

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 01:54:23 PM »
Wow, that's a nice cover, Dana!  I love the integrated drawstring at the bottom - eliminates the need for my "chin strap" mod!
Tony from NW Arkansas

teleskier

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2015, 11:52:04 AM »
If you are using sunbrella fabric that is used for boat awnings, there is no need to use a vinyl layer inside for water protection. I had a custom cover made out of it for my duck hunting boat and it is totally waterproof. Just go down to an awning company and have them stitch you up one out of remnants in the color of your choice.
SI#2, Maverick dual wireless probes.
Waterfowl guide and married to the best hunting partner a guy could ask for and I don't mean my dog...

Mike from California

tsax6010

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2015, 01:51:07 PM »
I asked for the vinyl just because I know from experience that standing water can eventually make its way through Sunbrella Marine fabric if left to sit - and given the flat top of the smoker I did not want anything getting into the blow hole.

And the company sewed it in for nothing  ;)

I have found however with the spring heat the vinyl sticks to the top of the smoker a bit. If it gets too bad I can always cut it out but I would prefer the extra piece of mind given my smoker is completely exposed on the deck.
- Dana
NE Ohio

Limey

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2015, 10:05:42 PM »
Dana, if you are worried about water getting into the blowhole a synthetic wine cork fits perfectly, is free, and will give your cover a bit of an angle to shed water.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.