Author Topic: first time cheese smoke advice  (Read 3945 times)

jlightning

first time cheese smoke advice
« on: March 10, 2015, 10:34:04 PM »
I am going to smoke a piece of cheddar and gouda this coming Friday and want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.  I was planning on using 2 ounces of hickory wood chunks or wood chips....which is better?  Also what wood is best for smoked cheese?  As far as the smoker setup goes, I am going to put the smoker plate in the bottom shelf, a pan of ice on the rack above that, then the cheese on the shelf above the ice.  I will turn the smoker on to 250 degrees for 15 min or until the temp of the smoker reaches 80 degrees and turn it off for 45 minutes.  Should I cover the hole in the top of the smoker to keep more smoke in?  How many times should I repeat this process?  How long should the cheese rest in the refrigerator until eaten?  Does the cheese need to be rinsed off after smoking...read that somewhere.  Thanks for the help!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: first time cheese smoke advice
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 11:26:27 PM »
Use chips in your favorite flavor,
Cold Plate with lots of ice in pans on lowest rack.
Cheese on top rack.
Crank heat with door open, turn down to 100 after good smoke is viable.
Leave door open to release any built up heat.
Close door, after 30 minutes open door, flip cheese, checking for excess heat and melting.
Continue to smoke and check, as you feel necessary.

Do not crank the heat with the door closed, do not seal the top vent hole.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:36:56 PM »
You will continue to get heat gain even after you have turned the smoker off.  I turn it off at 75.  The smoke will continue for several minutes after that.  I turn it back on when the smoke appears to almost be out. I go back and forth with that for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  The cheese is very smoky with this technique and time frames.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 12:33:32 AM »
A couple of extra things on top of the great advice already given.

1. Don't let the smoker temp go over 90 or you will have a melted mess. If it accidentally gets to 90 open the door to quickly lower the temp. If it gets too high. You may have to temporarily remove the cheese.

2. Do NOT wash or pat dry any oils that may accumulate on the cheese. You can air dry for several hours on your counter especially for hard cheeses before packaging or place in the fridge in an open comtainer.

3. I would recommend using frozen water-filled milk or soda bottles instead of ice. You want to limit the amount of moisture in the box.

4. The smoke flavor can be overpowering on the cheese right out of the smoker. So, I would wait a minimum of one week before testing it for the first time. I have some in my fridge that has been aging for close to 2 months and the flavor is only getting better. The smoke will even out and penetrate into the cheese the longer it ages in the fridge.

5. Don't freeze the smoked cheese as this will halt the aging. If you must freeze, make sure you wait until the cheese has mellowed to your liking, because once you freeze it the aging will stop.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 04:48:08 PM »
Did this happen?  How'd it go?  I'm going to do some Saturday morning. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah