Author Topic: Greetings from Michigan  (Read 2860 times)

Rich B

Greetings from Michigan
« on: March 09, 2015, 02:59:26 PM »
Long time listener, first time caller (or something like that)

Decided this is the year to jump into smoking.  My wife's been hinting at this for a while now so guess what she's getting for her birthday in a couple weeks? Hopefully a #3 if they are back in stock.  Will be driving from S.E. Michigan to pick it up and save the shipping costs and meet Steve too!!  I thought I wanted a masterbuilt smoker until I started doing the research and reading the reviews, which led me to SI, then the question was a #2 or #3.  Most of the time it will just be my wife and I, but this smoker will live up at my lake house where we have large crowds from time to time and are really good friends with the neighbors so I can definitely see doing some group smokes (hookah?  LOL)  I know electric is the right way to go for us, there's no way I'm babysitting coals especially when the winds are really fickle on the shores of Lake Huron, they can go from dead calm to big gusts which would play hell with coals.  Didn't want to rely on propane, if I run out I'm miles away from the nearest tank fill center and they close at 5.  Everything I've read from you guys and other forums really speak highly to the quality of these smokers so I can't wait to get it and start smoking!!!

Rich B
Rich from S.E. MI, and summers in the thumb!
#3 (soon to be a 3D after I upgrade) at the lake
#1 at home
Weber Gas Grills at both locations

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Greetings from Michigan
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 03:08:40 PM »
Welcome from ND Rich.

I am a single Dad with two boys and have a #3 and would not want to go smaller. So, I think you have made a great choice.

According to the website, the #3s and #4s are supposed to be in stock today (3/9/2015). So, you may want to call Steve at 260-417-9951 to verify. The site, is still preventing you from adding a #3 to your cart, but that could be just a website delay. I would give Steve a call.

Let us know if you have any questions.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 03:41:13 PM »
Welcome from Delaware, Rich!   You can't go wrong with the #3, so hopefully they will be back in stock soon.   I see many happy smokes in your future...Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:56:19 PM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »
Welcome from Colorado Rich. You are doing the right thing for your wife's Birthday....  ;D You will love the smoker!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 04:47:22 PM »
Welcome from West Mich / Holland , and to tell you the truth I was going to purchase a # 3 ( out of stock ) but decided on a number # 2 , and with that in mind considering there is really ....................only my Wife & I it has been a very wise choice !!!!
[I[I .............

jdwoods

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 05:36:19 PM »
Hey Rich. Welcome, from one newbie to another...
Los Angeles. Born and raised.
Smoking since 2015. Model #2.

Barrel99

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 05:51:41 PM »
Really doesn't matter which model you get Rich. Pick the one that suits your needs and budget. They all work well and you won't be disappointed.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 06:29:13 PM »
I have a #3 and love it. I encourage you to wait on a #3. The #2 is a good machine but a #3 is what you need for big group smokes.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:38:31 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 09:56:09 PM »
Welcome to the line, Rich!  You're on with WLZQ, where we're all Q, all the time! lol! 

No matter which you decide on, you won't regret the choice!  If you and the birthday girl like BBQ, you are definitely in for a treat!  We'll take you from total newbie to Pit Master in no time flat, and you'll be amazed how easy it is.

Hang out with us in Club Lazy Q when you can, and ask anything!  We're here to help!  Most of us are a little shy, but don't you be! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 09:31:25 PM »
Welcome from AZ.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle