Author Topic: 1st Try with a Turkey Breast  (Read 7252 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: 1st Try with a Turkey Breast
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 07:31:16 AM »
Way to go, Steve!   Turkey looks great and it sounds like everything worked out fine.    I would have expected a longer smoke, but when its done, its done!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

es1025

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 12:31:24 PM »
Turkey is forgiving especiaaly if you brine. 165 is the perfect temp. One of my favorites to smoke.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
Time sounds right on the money to me, Steve!  I never experience any kind of a "stall" with poultry, so it usually goes pretty fast at 250°.  The stall is from evaporative cooling on things like briskets and pork butts, as the fat/connective tissue renders and flows to the surface, cooling the meat much like our skin cools when we sweat.  Poultry is extremely lean, so that doesn't happen.  Typically, you'll see a steady climb in temp with poultry.

As for your question on the mire poix (chopped celery/onion/carrot mix) - try it some time in a chicken or turkey.  I always use it on whole birds, since I learned about it here, on the forum.  I think it helps the meat cook more evenly, and gives the meat a great flavor.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!