Author Topic: Bison ribs  (Read 10172 times)

TJ

Bison ribs
« on: March 05, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »
Saved three big hunks of ribs from a buffalo I just shot with the intention of giving them a go in the smoker. Never tried bison, or beef for that matter in the smoker.
Any and all advice would be welcome.
Crossville Tennessee

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Bison ribs
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 10:58:31 AM »
Are bison ribs as lean as the rest of bison meat?  Low and slow in our smokers really depend on there being some fat to help break down muscle tissue and keep the meat moist.  I bet that bison isn't an easy smoke.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TJ

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 11:22:22 AM »
They do have some fat, but not anywhere near as much as beef does. I was thinking maybe bake in the oven at 275 or so for a few hours and then smoke at 200 for about 6 hours. But was hoping someone here actually smoked them.
Crossville Tennessee

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 12:47:05 PM »
I keep reading around here that meat will only absorb smoke until about an internal temperature of 140ยบ. I'm not sure you'd want to bake in oven for a few hours and then move to the smoker.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:52:50 PM »
We had great results braising and roasting our bison ribs in the oven. I did not have my SI at the time. I i had it I would have tried a portion of the ribs in the smoker but not commit all of them.

Try a small section if you get good results smoke the rest. If they are not outstanding go with the braising and roasting for the remaining ribs.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:30:38 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 09:25:32 PM »
Never smoked bison ribs, but man, that sounds good!  Bison meat is really good, and I bet the ribs will be awesome!  Due to the leanness, I bet brining them would really add a moisture/flavor benefit, and then a good long "low and slow" smoke (no higher than 225)!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TJ

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 12:14:19 AM »
I already thought about brining them overnight. Then decided to go low and slow with about 6 ounces of wood at 200F. Will monitor them often and if they start to dry out before becoming tender will transfer them to the oven until they are ready to munch on:)
The meat is awesome. Ended up with about 500 pounds of boned out meat, not counting the three slabs of ribs I saved.
Crossville Tennessee

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 08:15:12 PM »
Bet they'll be incredible, TJ!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 05:08:41 PM »
I will love to see how these turn out.   8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 10:45:02 PM »
Something you folks may want to try when grilling or smoking very lean meat is larding.  Here is a link for various larding needles.  If you have an all steel marinating syringe injector (the needle is a smaller diameter) you can load it up with melted yet cool bacon fat or or just about any kind of melted fat and use that as well.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Alarding%20needle
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:32:55 AM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 12:19:33 AM »
"Larding" is not done with lard or rendered fat. Larding needles grip strips of fat back. These needles are then run through the meat. The strips of fat are then deposited in the meat. If you want to go low budget, I have successfully used strips of bacon and a honing steel.
You could inject rendered fat but you wouldn't be larding. Having butchered two buffalo myself I don't think it would be worth the hassle to inject them. I would cut them into sections about as big as a lap top. Brine the ribs then smoke no higher than 225 check them at three hours. Decide then if your going to continue smoking or start to braise them in the oven. A lot of it is going to depend on the age and sex of the bison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsI7wekfYSA
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

TJ

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 12:35:04 PM »
Pulled a pack out of the freezer and they are now defrosted. Removed the membrane and they are brining in one gallon of water with one cup or sugar and one cup of salt and a teaspoon each of garlic and onion powder.
Tomorrow the plan is to smoke them at 200 for about 5 hours and if they are not tender enough then they will get sauced and be moved to the oven at 250 or so until they are tender.
I'll post the results.
Crossville Tennessee

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 12:45:44 PM »
TJ,

I have had bison steaks but not the ribs, looking forward to see how they turn out!

Greg

TJ

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 11:31:59 PM »
After a 4 hour smoke at 200 put them in the oven at 275 in a covered pan. Basted them with sauce twice while they braised for 4 hours then removed them to toss on a hot grill for a few minutes to get some char.
Absolutely fantastic! Flavor was very rich and tender enough to cut with a fork. Moist and dense.
Crossville Tennessee

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 06:43:32 AM »
Impressive, congrats!

Greg