Author Topic: Longest brisket smoke ever?  (Read 5097 times)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
Longest brisket smoke ever?
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:24:38 PM »
I'm approaching 23 hours on my current brisket smoking session. This got me wondering what everyone else's longest recorded smoke sessions have been?

Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Longest brisket smoke ever?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 01:43:23 PM »
I had 26. Tasted good though.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »
I did two 9 pound butts for 24 hours. The one closer to the door with the probe never went higher than 188. When I opened the smoker to check them at the 24 hour mark, I judged it as "done enough". I pulled the probe and stuck it into the other butt to prevent it from becoming tangled. Immediately the alarm for 195 went off. That second butt topped out at 199 as I wrapped it, both were tender and perfect.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 09:41:13 PM »
Hey Tman, looks like you just got a taste of why BBQ is so fun, and so challenging - all at the same time!  We try to "control" the uncontrollable.  No matter how good our technology becomes, and how accurate we can control our smoker, there's still one really big wild card in the deck: The meat!

Every piece of meat is made by an animal, and (just like us) they are all different!  USDA grading is a "best guess" by the experts at how good the finished product will be, but certainly not an insight to how long something will take to cook!  I believe there are so many factors to cook time:  Density of the muscle, fat content, amount of connective tissue, moisture content, and probably some others that I'm overlooking.  I guess that's the main reason we look at a cook with a reasonable time estimate (like 1-2 hours per pound), instead of saying "smoke for exactly 4.2 hours," like you would precisely do in baking.  BBQ is so different!  The meat has it's own agenda, and time table!

Ain't BBQ fun?  lol!  To me, the unknown is what keeps it interesting!  Who wants to have a "cookie cutter" formula for every smoke?  I like it when the meat throws me a curve ball, once in awhile!  That's where "feel" and intuition/experience come into play! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 10:35:38 PM »
It was fun till I realized I was staying up till midnight and possibly 2am when I had to get up at 6:45am. I went to bed at 1am after realizing I could probably let it rest in the cooler for 8 hours before slicing it up. I wanted to make sure and give it a proper rest as well as myself.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 07:37:31 PM »
It was fun till I realized I was staying up till midnight and possibly 2am when I had to get up at 6:45am.

Yeah, that's just about when the "fun" runs out for me, too! :(
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!