Author Topic: Digital controller to fit number 1 and 2  (Read 3361 times)

Bigjo

Digital controller to fit number 1 and 2
« on: March 12, 2015, 08:12:17 PM »
 ??? Just had a thought hit me.   The masterbuilt 30 smoker has a 800 watt element.  Seems to me the controller would operate the 1 and 2.   I'm not a electrician but it might work at least until Steve comes out with his.
Bradley BBQ pit, MES smoker, Smoking-it 3

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Digital controller to fit number 1 and 2
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:10:51 PM »
Does it have tuning capability? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Bigjo

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 10:26:10 PM »
If it does I'm not aware of it.   I have a masterbuilt  and it was plug n play.  I'm retiring it as soon as I can get my hands on a number 3.   I doubt it be absolutely accurate but with a little Kentucky windage I think you could better control temp swings.   My masterbuilt did not have much problems with that.  Seems like it should help.  Just a thought.  Looking for a more informed opinion. 

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 11:24:00 PM »
I would think very carefully about such a scheme.  Seems the Masterbuilt smoker mentioned has problems. Especially the Generation 2. A search for such problems will quickly reveal many posts.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 11:38:57 PM »
I don't understand, what are you trying to accomplish? BTW, I had the MES 40 gen 2 and returned it.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Bigjo

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 12:59:47 AM »
I had not heard about the problems.   Me and my father both have Masterbuilt 30 inch smokers.  So far neither has had problems other than racks are junk.  I'm about to buy a SI 3 and I think my father is considering a SI 2.  It was a passing thought.  If I do get a controller for the three it will be an auber.  I was just thinking about a cheaper alternative for my father.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 11:36:58 AM »
The swings are really not a big deal. I have a #3 and get swings, but they average out and I will put my results up against any Auber smoked results.

For certain low temp smokes like for fish or jerky, the level temps are a little more important. But, I would try without it for awhile before you spring for the Auber.

Don't get me wrong, the Aubers are great and definitely have a place. The programming capability is really cool. I just wanted to make the point that they are not needed to produce outstanding BBQ.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »
 I have an Auber & use it 50% of the time (depending on what im cooking).  I really like it but I completely agree with Greg.  Had my #2 over a year without it.  Its absolutely not necessary.  My briskets are equally as good now as they were before the Auber.  The benefits (for me) are more in programability and higher temps after bypassing.  Use you unit as is & get comfortable with it before going down that path.  Enjoy.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill