Author Topic: Rib rack and extra rack question  (Read 7266 times)

aspenextreme03

Rib rack and extra rack question
« on: March 01, 2015, 11:45:34 PM »
Have a few questions hopefully someone can answer for me.

1. Does the extra rack make the inside too cramped?  If you do have it i am thinking it is only practical for jerky, ribs, etc as it looks like they would be a height restriction.

2. Does anyone have the rib rack?  If so what do you think?  If my math is right you can get 3.5 racks in the rib rack vs 3 rack (cut in half of course) in it assuming you have the third rack.

Thanks for the help.
Eric
Eric from Marietta, GA
Smokin-It Model 2, Weber Genesis & Blackstone Pizza Oven

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
Re: Rib rack and extra rack question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 11:53:42 PM »
I did 3 racks with no problems in my #2 without the rib rack. I just cut the racks in half and used the upper 3 shelves. I bet I could have fit 3 racks per two shelves and it has 4 shelves so I could have done 6 racks without a rib rack. That's way more than I have needed to do in a single session so far. If you do multiple cooking sessions you can freeze the 1st session ribs and reheat them in crock pots near the time your current batch is finishing.

I personally think the BBQ ribs reheated in crock pot with a little apple cider in the bottom was even better than when I tried them right out of the smoker. The flavors from the smoke and reheating with apple cider was just pure heaven! Lots of food seems to improve a day after cooking I've noticed. This is my experience with ribs, pulled pork, chili, soups, etc...
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

aspenextreme03

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 12:02:25 AM »
How about the #1?  I am going to get the little guy now after evaluating my budget. I thought i would have a little extra to get the #2 but just ran the numbers again and need to stick with #1 to make the other things i need to purchase work.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:07:23 AM by aspenextreme03 »
Eric from Marietta, GA

aspenextreme03

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 12:09:32 AM »
Or i am thinking maybe just get the third rack and then if i need the rib rack get it then. Might be the better solution.
Eric from Marietta, GA

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 12:15:46 AM »
If you are on the fence, get the #2.   Much deeper racks on the 2 vs 1.   Check specs online.  After your few 1st smokes you wont regret it (cost)

I think 15x15 vs 15 x 20 on the #2 if memory serves me correct.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

aspenextreme03

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 12:31:25 AM »
I know i would not regret it but i need that extra 100+ for a couple of things i need to purchase this month. I might have to hold off until i get some other things out if the way if i really really want to #2. I just am not sure as mostly i will be smoking for myself and maybe my wife.
Eric from Marietta, GA

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 12:31:57 AM »
The website should have the dimensions of each model. I would go with the #2 if you have the budget and skip the other "accessories" for now. You don't need an Auber or many other accessories if you are just starting out. The basic unit comes with everything you need to smoke poultry, beef, and pork. If you do fish, cheese, jerky, and other specialties then you will need some accessories.

Tony from Marion, IA

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 12:38:50 AM »
I know i would not regret it but i need that extra 100+ for a couple of things i need to purchase this month. I might have to hold off until i get some other things out if the way if i really really want to #2. I just am not sure as mostly i will be smoking for myself and maybe my wife.

I would save and wait then. You've lived this long without a great smoker, what's another few months? Think of this as a long term investment. You likely want something that meets your needs today and gives you freedom to grow for the future. I think the #1 is a "starter" kit for a single person with a few friends over on occasion for meals. #2 works for small families frequently to large family gatherings. #3 is for the big league folks. They know exactly what they want and the reasons for taking that extra leap. #4 is the party machine. I think it would be really more for commercial purposes than home use.

These are my opinions anyway. Hope they help enlighten you.

Tony from Marion, IA

aspenextreme03

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 06:48:50 AM »
That very true and you talked me into a model 2. Might be a little longer but that is ok.  Will check back in when i purchase it
Eric from Marietta, GA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 09:19:29 AM »
I definitely agree with waiting until you can afford the #2. I did the same thing and waited to save up for my #3 and am VERY glad that I waited.

Don't be a stranger though. While I waited, I read every single thread and post on this forum. It was a little smaller back then. But that is how I waited out the time until I could order the smoker. I practically felt like an expert before I even ordered my smoker. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

aspenextreme03

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »
I definitely will not be a stranger.  I already bought Jeff Phillips rub/sauce recipe because I heard they were pretty good.  Honestly I think that if I can stagger some of my purchases I could get the model 2 first.  Eliminate the rib back or any accessories besides that Thermoworks tw8060 and I should be set for a while.
Eric from Marietta, GA

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 01:56:05 PM »
It will be the last smoker you buy so you are better waiting for a #2. I would hate to see you put out the money then regret not going bigger after you have done a few smokes. Stay active on the forum so you are ready to go when the box gets to your house. Plan a list of smokes and study up on techniques. Good luck.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 04:11:17 PM »
Eric, if you made that final decision to go with the #2, then great. But, there's nothing wrong with the #1 either. Everyone is always trying to get new buyers to upgrade before they buy because a little more room is definitely better. I have a #3. Started out wanting a #2. Wish I had a #4. See it's all in YOUR pocket book and willingness to wait a bit longer.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

aspenextreme03

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 05:05:39 PM »
Originally I was leaning a little more towards number one but as I read more I think that #2 would be right in my wheel house.  It might just be more for future proofing honestly as I would hate to buy the #1 and then upgrade later.  I might as well just do it off the bat.  As far as the #3/4 is concerned I am definitely not going there. 

Thanks to everyone for the advice. 
Eric from Marietta, GA

Walt

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 05:06:48 PM »
Forget the other things you need to by.  Buy the smoker thats right for you & then deal with the "other things" later. The only other things you need are; ribs, butt, brisket, etc & a cheap thermometer to hold you over until you can afford whatever option you want.  Dont skimp on the foundation of your house because you want granite countertops.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill