Author Topic: Brisket cooking too fast!  (Read 22284 times)

mizzoufan

Re: Brisket cooking too fast!
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
well, I finally hit a stall at 172 so maybe that was the issue.  Just a fairly quick climb to stall and hopefully it'll hang out there without drying out.
Steven from KCMO

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2015, 08:03:20 PM »
Here are two pics, wanted to take more but was too excited to get any decent ones.  The bark was not very dark, but it was all very tender.

Smoke time may be off, but the finished product looked good, how did it taste!

Greg

Walt

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2015, 09:10:04 PM »
I find the biskets temperatures for my brined & injected ones, almost always, rise very rapidly then have a long stall. In the end, always finishing between 1 to 1 1/4 hrs / lb.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

mizzoufan

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2015, 09:33:32 PM »
Here's to hoping it runs a bit longer than that or I'll be getting up in the middle of the night.  Currently regressed back to 169 so the magic is happening.  Planned on 2 hrs/lb though 1.5 or a bit more wouldn't have been an issue (4 hr rest and eat a tad earlier than originally planned).  At least the Maverick has an alarm to wake me up if it's done in the middle of the night
Steven from KCMO

mizzoufan

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2015, 10:18:29 AM »
Well, it didn't take long enough for me to get a good night's sleep, but at least it came out pretty good (4 hour rest).  The last couple inches of the flat end were too dry to slice, but they made a nice breakfast :D.  The point was immediately foodsavered and frozen to make burnt ends later. 

Boston Butt maybe should have come out earlier (woke up at 201 degrees and opened the smoker up a few minutes later) because it broke in 3 pieces when I tried to pull it out for resting.  I let it rest anyway and mixed some au jus back in after shredding.  All in all a good cook, but I need to work on timing some. 
Steven from KCMO

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2015, 11:24:10 PM »
You should be able to save the dried out ends and mix them in with your point for the burnt ends. Getting some sauce on them will help.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

mizzoufan

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2015, 12:37:01 PM »
Probably should be a different topic, but...clean up.  I noticed a bunch of caked on, puffy...carbon on top of the firebox.  Ok, no big deal because it was foiled so I just pulled the foil off.  But I did have some of that same stuff covering my drain hole so at some point it stopped draining any juices.

Any ideas?
Steven from KCMO

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 07:15:18 PM »
Probably should be a different topic, but...clean up.  I noticed a bunch of caked on, puffy...carbon on top of the firebox.  Ok, no big deal because it was foiled so I just pulled the foil off.  But I did have some of that same stuff covering my drain hole so at some point it stopped draining any juices.

Any ideas?

Not much you can do to prevent that.  I've had it happen with long smokes that have a lot of internal liquid (mostly brined butts or briskets).  Fortunately, by the time it actually solidifies and blocks the hole, the draining is pretty much done anyways.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!