Author Topic: max capacity of model 1  (Read 11445 times)

jlightning

max capacity of model 1
« on: February 23, 2015, 10:23:35 PM »
What's the most ribs, pork butts, brisket, etc..that you fit into your model 1?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: max capacity of model 1
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 11:08:49 AM »
Inside dimensions are 12-1/2" wide x 13-1/2" deep x 17-1/4" tall, rack size is 12 x 13

With 2 racks, you'll run out of surface area pretty quick.  A packer brisket cut in half will pretty much cover both racks, approx. 15 lbs.  Pork butts, 1 large one, possibly 2 small ones.  Ribs, in the horizontal position, 3 racks cut in half.  If you employ rib racks, maybe another rack or 2.  Divot owns a #1 and tends to warn about overcrowding the smoker.  Just because it fits doesn't mean you'll get the best results.  Problems reaching desired temps might occur.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:04:39 PM »
J - Dave is absolutely right.  I've done as large as an 11 lb pork butt, or 3 racks of back ribs, or 1 large chicken, or up to a 14 lb turkey.  You don't want to overload the #1, as you will sacrifice cooking efficiency and smoke penetration (both need space).

I think the real question you are asking is what model to get...right?  Here's my answer:  Let your needs and budget determine which to get.  I initially bought the #1 based solely on budget.  SI, and electric smoking, was a total "unknown" for me.  I didn't want to sink a lot of money in something I wasn't sure about.  At the time, this forum was very small, and pretty new.  There just wasn't the wealth of information there is today!
Had I know what I know now, I would have ordered the #2.  I absolutely love my #2.

Needs:  How many folks do you normally cook for?  I only smoke for 3, so the #1 actually fit that bill just fine.  What the #2 gives me is "overhead."  Having more space allows me some flexibility to smoke more than needed, if I choose.  While I would love to have a #3 or 4, it just doesn't fit my needs.  I could probably justify a #3, but not a 4.  It would be nice to smoke whole, large, packer briskets.

Budget:  Let that be part of your decision (duh).  If you can swing a bigger model, get it...you won't regret it.  You can always smoke less in a larger one, but can never put 4 gallons in a 2 gallon bucket!

Hope this helps!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 10:12:18 PM »
I can't imagine have anything smaller then a #3. While most smokes are 12 pounds or smaller I have gone as high as 40 and as low as 2. No regrets getting a #3 instead of a #2.

If you are worried about space forget the #1 get the #2. If you can afford it buy the #3 it is a lot of smoker for the money.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 10:23:48 PM »
I whole heartedly agree with Brian. I regularly max out my #3 when I smoke jerky and snack stix. For me, I could not imagine having anything less than a #3. I really wish that I could afford a #4.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jlightning

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 10:34:35 PM »
I maxed my budget and just purchased a #2!!  What should I smoke first?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 10:45:18 PM »
I maxed my budget and just purchased a #2!!  What should I smoke first?
The box to season it.  LOL! 

Second, do a pork butt.  As long as you have a meat thermometer, it's really hard to screw up a pork butt and they taste better than anything you've ever had in a restaurant. 

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 11:21:06 PM »
You can do a real good butt with no thermometer if you had to. 1.75 hours a pound at 235 it will be the best you have ever smoked.

But do get a good thermometer eventually, cheap ones die a quick death.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 11:21:42 PM »
I also recommend a Boston Butt.

It is a great first smoke. It will give you a good feel for your new smoker. I would use the brine/recipe in this thread:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Barrel99

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 11:58:57 PM »
Butts are great and always recommended as a good starter, but take a long time to cook. Ribs can be done in considerably less time if you are looking to eat...not wait. No way could I have waited for a butt on my first smoke.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 07:52:58 PM »
Boston Butt!  Boston Butt!  Boston Butt!! lol! ;D   Best "first smoke" in the books, in my humble opinion!  Gives you additional seasoning, and a real good look at how she performs when you stretch her legs a little on a long smoke.  Great "quality time" together with your new best friend!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Walt

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 08:37:32 PM »
Its amazing how adamant people are about such a foolish topic.  If you have a butt all ready, they are always good. Ribs, sausage or chicken, also very good.  Oh yeah, fish, lobster......you get my point.  Who cares!  Prep something properly for the time YOU have available and start cooking.  If you don't have time to brine a butt, do a chicken.  No time for that, throw some sausage & potatoes in or ribs.  Silly argument!  Get to smoking.....ANYTHING!
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 09:26:08 PM »
Its amazing how adamant people are about such a foolish topic.  If you have a butt all ready, they are always good. Ribs, sausage or chicken, also very good.  Oh yeah, fish, lobster......you get my point.  Who cares!  Prep something properly for the time YOU have available and start cooking.  If you don't have time to brine a butt, do a chicken.  No time for that, throw some sausage & potatoes in or ribs.  Silly argument!  Get to smoking.....ANYTHING!
You only lose your virginity once, Walt, do it with anybody.   ::)

Barrel99

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 09:31:59 PM »
It's too bad people on this forum are so quiet and so...so...unopinionated! Is this an amazing forum or what?
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 10:50:11 PM »
It's too bad people on this forum are so quiet and so...so...unopinionated! Is this an amazing forum or what?

+1!  Yeah, we're a shy bunch, but we DO have fun!! ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas