Author Topic: Brisket advice needed ASAP... please help!  (Read 4077 times)

Brisket Bob

Brisket advice needed ASAP... please help!
« on: February 21, 2015, 07:10:44 AM »
I have run into a problem with my brisket that I am currently smoking.  We are hosting a party later today and the main course is brisket.  I went to put the brisket in my #1 at Midnight Saturday morning (today) with a 11.5 lb packer brisket.  When I inserted the meat probe, my Maverick ET732 Meat Thermometer read the meat temperature at 300°.  I took out the probe, reinserted it several times....turned off the monitors and restarted them, but I still had an extremely high and incorrect reading. Obviously there is something wrong with the probe and I've ordered a new one, but that still leaves me in a pickle.  The thermometer now reads 174° after 6 hours of smoking at 225° (temperature reading of the smoker is 190°).  That seems a bit high for 6 hours but not out of the realm of possibilities based on my notes from previous briskets I've smoked.  I have no idea if that the probe has righted itself or it still is inaccurate.  I realize that you cook a brisket by internal temp and not time, but what do I do in this scenario?  I have a handheld digital meat thermometer, but obviously don't want to keep opening the latch and letting the cold air in (current temp in Chicago is 20°).  I'm feeling the pressure of hosting today 15 people and not sure how to make the best of this situation.  Any advice?  Thank you in advance for your help!
Bob - Chicago

paidin

Re: Brisket advice needed ASAP... please help!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 08:33:11 AM »
Use a toothpick and poke it like a cake. If you have made brisket before, you know it should go in really easily when done. Use your old cooking times to determine when to check. The hot meat and internals of the smoker along with the small volume of the #1 will bring the temp of the smoker right back up. In the mean time, drive to the store and pick up a backup thermometer.

Keep calm and smoke on!

paidin
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:35:58 AM by paidin »
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

Brisket Bob

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 10:08:27 AM »
Thank you for the advice.  This is my 11th brisket (so I'm new to the game, but not too green) and I've kept notes charting the temperatures throughout the way, so I have an idea of when to go in the first time to check on it.  I've consistently read 1.5 hours/lb in the forum for brisket, but my times historically have been much quicker than that guideline (less than an 1 hour/lb at 225° and sometimes even quicker than that).  My most recent brisket time was: 

- 11 lb packer brisket at 225°, pulled after 8 hours and internal temperature of 192°.

I was thinking of checking the first time with temperature around 10 hours, just for some reassurance that things are progressing....or should I wait even longer?
Bob - Chicago

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 10:21:09 AM »
Your smoke production has long since been done so any checking now, if quick, is just a little heat.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Brisket Bob

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:53:32 AM »
Thanks for the support....

Everything turned out great.  I used DivotMaker's brine method and injection...it was a hit.  Although the probe started reading things at 300+ degrees, it actually became accurate towards the end as I double-checked every hour with a handheld thermometer.  Thanks again.
Bob - Chicago

paidin

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 10:35:29 AM »
congrats!  and pics please!  I think I will stick my brisket in the smoker tonight for a 20 hour smoke
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

Barrel99

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 04:42:01 PM »
One thing I have been learning about brining and injecting is that the meat is a little more forgiving in terms of retaining moisture. Glad you brisket was a success.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 07:52:24 PM »
Good news, Bob! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!