Author Topic: cover for smoker while smoking  (Read 14587 times)

paidin

cover for smoker while smoking
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:16:27 PM »
I am not as fortunate as some of you with covered decks.  I am afraid of getting the top of my smoker wet, especially with an auber.  Because of this, I have only smoked once on my smoker even though I have had it a total of 7 days!!!  I have been trying to figure out how to protect it from the elements while smoking out on my uncovered deck.  Have any of you guys solved this dilemma short of building a cover for my deck?  My garage has my hunting clothes and stuff in it so I dont want it to smell like smoked deer for when I go deer hunting.  Any ideas would be appreciated!!

thanks
paidin
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: cover for smoker while smoking
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »
How about stealing one of those easy up shade structures the soccer mom's use?  I think they are usually around 8' X 8'. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

paidin

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 05:33:19 PM »
yeah I found a slick deal on a true 10x10 ezup this past fall.  Unfortunately, when set up on my deck, it takes up the whole deck, causing me to have to move all the plants, grills, storage sheds, etc.  It worked great but was super pain in the a$$ to set up and with my snooty neighborhood, had to be taken down within a day or two.  Already owning a 10x10, I could not justify an 8x8 but those 8x8 are 10x10 at their base so I would have the same issue but with less coverage.  Maybe I can mount a fishing pole holder on the SI#4 and stick a golf umbrella on it when smoking!  possibilities!!
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 05:53:11 PM »
Most weather that you are trying to avoid has a certain horizontalness to it.  I don't think an umbrella will get it done unless you find away to use a patio table umbrella. 

paidin

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 06:07:10 PM »
Most weather that you are trying to avoid has a certain horizontalness to it.  I don't think an umbrella will get it done unless you find away to use a patio table umbrella.

true but I am even afraid of a light drizzle and what it can do to our $1400 investment, especially if I start drilling override switches and stuff into the chasis.  If I could adjust the height of the umbrella to about 1 foot above the top of the unit, that should work right?  :)

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 06:47:24 PM »
I built a relatively small canopy featuring an extra heavy duty tarp.
http://tarps.com/chrome2.htm
http://tarps.com/vinyltarps.htm

~Martin

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 07:09:33 PM »
I built a relatively small canopy featuring an extra heavy duty tarp.
http://tarps.com/chrome2.htm
http://tarps.com/vinyltarps.htm

Sure would like to see a picture of what you built, Martin! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

paidin

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 07:21:08 PM »
yes pics please!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 10:39:13 AM »
I think, loose the Auber until it is fair weather days out. I have fired up my #3 with  a half inch of ice across the top and had some great smokes.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 11:17:55 AM »
If you aren't afraid about the drilling, I think a piece of conduit and conduit straps mounted vertically would make a great umbrella holder.  Similar to your rod holder idea but sturdier.  It might even hold the patio umbrella. 

paidin

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 07:21:15 PM »
who said I was not afraid of drilling?  I see it as a necessary evil

es1025

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 10:53:29 AM »
I use a beach umbrella and put the auber and temp controller in a small container then place the container in a plastic bag. I only had to due this once during a huge thunderstorm.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »
I've been caught in huge storms several times while smoking on my uncovered patio with no issues whatsoever. Luckily, I was not using an Auber. I was using a Maverick 732 each time and was surprised that they were not effected at all. 
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

paidin

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 08:04:54 PM »
ok while this is not the perfect protection, this is what I have come up with so far:

a lid to one of my mixing tubs is about the right size and weight to stay on the Auber PID.  The lip that it has keeps it from sliding off and it is large enough to protect the PID during a medium to light rain.  The Bunghole of the Smokin-It is a great way for rain to enter so I came up with a steaming rack from an asian market (about $1) and a heavy glass lid to sit on top.  Enough clearance to not interfere with the convention of the heat but close enough to keep most of the rain from entering the smoker (i hope)

One day I will come up with something gooder to keep the 'spensive electronics protected.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 07:56:14 PM »
Creative, Paidin!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!