Author Topic: Which beef roast cut should I use?  (Read 4510 times)

H3

Which beef roast cut should I use?
« on: February 20, 2015, 03:39:41 PM »
Hello Everyone, I want to try a beef roast this weekend. I would like to make pulled beef with it and my plan is to use Jeff's rub and cook at 235 until 160 IT and foil it until 200 IT. What cut of beef would be the best for this? Chuck, Rump, Sirloin tip. Thanks.
Howard from Panama City Beach

paidin

Re: Which beef roast cut should I use?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
you want to use a cut that has lots of connective tissue like brisket.  Lean cuts will tend to dry out I think.  Get a whole brisket at around $3.50 a pound versus a half brisket which generally runs $6.00+ per pound.  Doesnt make sense to me why they do that or why people buy it that way.  I found one today marked down to $2.58 a pound
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 04:45:50 PM »
I think paidin is on the money here.  In fact, I just saw a show on the food network where the restaurant made pulled brisket!    It looked really good.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 05:31:20 PM »
A lot of guys on the SMF forum pull chuck roasts.  But my experience with chuck roasts would involve braising the second half of the cook after a couple hours in the smoke.  Pull brisket seems almost like sin to me. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

paidin

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 05:44:07 PM »
isnt brisket cheaper than chuck?

also, no need to marinade the brisket.  Just season with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder.  I have not done this yet on my SE#4 but on my MES40, I would stick it in there and cook it at 225 degrees for about 18-20 hours until internal temperature of 204 degrees.  If you do this, cut some off and bite.  I will GUARANTEE you that you and your guests will forget about pulling any beef or pork or chicken for that matter.  Some of the best food I have ever eaten.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 06:01:25 PM »
brisket is cheaper than chuck but brisket tastes too darn good sliced to tear it up. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

paidin

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 06:07:53 PM »
brisket is cheaper than chuck but brisket tastes too darn good sliced to tear it up.

that is my point, once they taste that brisket, they will forget about tearing it up

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 07:45:32 PM »
Hello Everyone, I want to try a beef roast this weekend. I would like to make pulled beef with it and my plan is to use Jeff's rub and cook at 235 until 160 IT and foil it until 200 IT. What cut of beef would be the best for this? Chuck, Rump, Sirloin tip. Thanks.

Don't foil!  Not necessary in these smokers.  Use a water pan on the floor of the smoker, next to the smoke box (a disposable mini-loaf pan works great).  These smokers are tight, and foiling just isn't needed.  Jeff's methods are for "traditional" smokers - not SIs! 

Head over to the beef section and check out the many really good tried-and-true, proven, brisket recipes.  Don't reinvent the wheel yet, just find one that works well and copy it.  You could easily pull my brisket, but I like it sliced. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 12:47:31 AM »
I have heard tri-tip roast works well, but it is more expensive.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 10:55:30 AM »
I have heard tri-tip roast works well, but it is more expensive.
Tri-tip and sirloin do work well in the SI but the are not suitable for pulling. Both cuts are very lean and need to smoke until 128-134 then sear on a scalding hot grill. slice it thin after it rests for 15 minutes.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud