Author Topic: DIY Auber permanent mount tip  (Read 6072 times)

paidin

DIY Auber permanent mount tip
« on: February 19, 2015, 08:06:54 PM »
Hi guys,

after reading posts on here about how to mount the permanent mount probe, I thought maybe there might be a way to utilize the one that comes with the auber.  That probe is about 0.16" thick.  I bought some nylon bolts and nuts and washers for a little over $2 at home depot.  I plan on drilling 0.16" down the middle of the bolt and stick the probe through it, then mount the bolt/probe assembly like everyone else does using washers and nut to secure.  I have some pics of the stuff and will post pics after I surgically remove the middle of the bolt.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: DIY Auber permanent mount tip
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 08:45:32 PM »
Save yourself a lot of hassle, and just get the permanent probe.  It is "tuned" differently than the drop in, already has a sealed nylon base, and works.  Your experiment might work ok, but I don't believe it's worth the effort to try and reproduce a known performer.  It's an entirely different probe.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

paidin

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 09:18:36 PM »
How would the other probe be tuned differently if their function is to measure ambient air temperature?  If this does not work out, I can always buy the other probe.  This is just a good way to use something that comes with the smoker and saves me from spending $40 for another probe.  Surely you can see the benefit in giving it a shot :)  The hole should be the same either way.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 09:32:13 PM »
You're right - give it a shot!  Wasn't trying to come off negative - I've just spent too much time trying to reinvent the wheel myself, and now realize it's usually not worth it, when there's proven technology already.  I'd give Auber a call and ask for specifics about the difference in the probes.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

paidin

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 10:38:38 AM »
Got the bolt drilled out with a 0.157" bit.  The probe is friction fit in the bolt.  This will allow adjustability with how much of the probe you want in the cabinet.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 12:53:18 PM »
How does one verify the melt point for those nylon fasteners?  One of the one way push washers would be nice to prevent probe from backing out. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 04:21:48 PM »
I like the warning on the bag, what does California know that the rest of the world does not?

Sorry, Friday humor.  Happy smoking.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

paidin

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 04:29:29 PM »
How does one verify the melt point for those nylon fasteners?  One of the one way push washers would be nice to prevent probe from backing out.

I guess I can stick one of the nylon washers in the oven next time I bake something to see if it melts at 350 or 400.  I thought the ones from auber comes with Nylon parts?  I could also google the melting point of nylon but I am too lazy right now

paidin

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 04:32:07 PM »
I like the warning on the bag, what does California know that the rest of the world does not?

Sorry, Friday humor.  Happy smoking.

funny observation.  I had to keep deleting all my replies to your statement because no matter what I typed up, it sounded too political and this is a smoking site, not a soap box :)

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 07:22:13 PM »
That's a nice-looking job, Paidin!  I would insert it as far as possible, then add a little hi-temp RTV sealant around the ends of the nylon bolt (both ends).  That will keep the sensor in place, and seal out moisture completely.  Make sure you do an autotune!
Tony from NW Arkansas

paidin

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 07:54:46 PM »
installed the DIY probe today after verifying it was accurate.  Took me 2 hours to drill through the back wall, mainly because HF bits suck.  had to pull out the drill doctor and finally said screw it and set the drill to fast mode.  got it done 2 minutes after that.  Always predrill a small hole first.

One advantage to making one yourself is that there is a preexisting hole on the bottom of the back that you can stick the probe through before assembling the nylon bolt.  One hole was enough for me, I am not going to drill anymore holes!

Also, I installed a dryer heat fuse that melts at 333 degrees.  If my smoker gets too hot, that should prevent it from burning down.  Thanks to one of the members here for suggesting that.  The other advantage to that is that I did not have to make any wires up for shorting out the connectors in order to bypass the  controller.

I am autotuning it right now.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 10:35:52 PM »
How's that fuse work? If it's in the back behind the insulation rather than in the box I don't see how it can perform its job and melt?
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

paidin

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 01:57:59 AM »
I want it to melt at 500 degrees. I do not want it to melt at 325 degrees when I'm cooking chicken with crispy skin :)

The smoker is made of stainless steel. 500 degrees is not going to hurt it.  They say it's good up to 350 degrees only for liability sake