Author Topic: Deer Heart in the freezer and looking for suggestions  (Read 13614 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Deer Heart in the freezer and looking for suggestions
« on: February 02, 2015, 01:50:59 PM »
Hello guys/gals,

Our farm cats/dogs usually get the gut/organ piles, but this year I decided to keep a heart to try to do something with. So, I have a deer heart in the freezer that I wanted to try to do something with it, but I have never done anything with them before so am totally open for suggestions.

What would you do with it?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Deer Heart in the freezer and looking for suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 04:26:04 PM »
Gregg, I think you will find heart to be some of the best meat from game. I brine mine overnight in a salt solution which tenderizes and cuts some of the gaminess if that is an issue. I think your smoking idea is great. I haven't tried that since I am on a hiatus from hunting for a little while...  :'( After smoking it, I would still fry it the same way I've always done it by using AP flour with salt, pepper, and garlic added, and fry up. I would tend toward cold smoke since I want the meat to be easy to butcher. If I were smoking it I would probably butcher first, then smoke. The butchering of it is easy, you will see some membrane on the outside of the heart that you want to take off, since it is tough. When you cut it open, you will also see some internal membranes, again tough. I cut the heart into strips and fry that way. When we are hunting, there is always a food fight over the heart and liver. We have always used both. By doing a similar method for the liver, it will not be gamey, won't be overly strong, and tastes like a million bucks when combined with sauteed onions. Let me know how it turns out. I don't think you will be disappointed.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 05:08:30 PM »
Do you have any pictures of how you butchered it?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 05:11:45 PM »
Not that I can find, sorry. It really isn't that hard though.....dive right in! You really can't go too wrong once you see what I am talking about.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 07:25:21 PM »
Read this:
http://themeateater.com/episodes/hearts-darkness-ticker-cooking-special/ then earch for some YouTube clips of the show, that may help.
To clean the heart, remove the arteries, veins, valves and tough fat cap on the outside. Opening the heart into halves lengthwise helps.

For many years we would cut the meat into bite size chunks and fry them like nuggets. The past two years we have cut the meat to the same size but marinated them in olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh garlic. These bits were skewered on kabobs and seared close to the coals until chared outside but medium rare inside. I learned that method of cooking from watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmer. That method works equally well with Deer Liver. I recommend just two or three bites per kabob as appetizers or added to a dinner.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 01:50:33 PM »
I haven't had it since I was a kid but clearly remember it was my favorite part of the deer that dad brought home. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Walt

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 03:04:27 PM »
Google "Chris Cosentino's Venison Hert Tartare".
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 05:26:24 PM »
I bookmarked that one Walt. Looks Great I don't see foie gras for sale around me. I might substitute some oven roasted lardons of pork belly.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Walt

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 09:52:28 PM »
The wife & I ate @ one of his restaurants last year & had a pasta dish with shaved tuna heart & quail egg. The overall effect was like a pungent Ceasar dressing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:55:16 PM by DivotMaker »
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 10:54:30 PM »
The wife & I ate @ one of his restaurants last year & had a pasta dish with shaved tuna heart & quail egg. The overall effect was like a pungent Ceasar dressing.

Yikes. ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 11:12:48 PM »
It was actually very good.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 07:27:11 PM »
I bet it was, Walt - just sounds really "exotic!"  Didn't even know you could shave a tuna heart! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 08:13:29 PM »
The heart is frozen then finely grated over the pasta.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

puddle jumper

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 04:27:45 PM »
Man , I started shooting all my deer in the neck to save the heart years ago,, top of my list to eat, one or two times a year, I cut them in small steaks, mix 2 eggs & a beer, dip and then in flour, and pan fry just like you would country steak,,, Then sprinkle a little salt on them when there still hot,, couple of biscuits, or corn bread and some pinto beans and that one fine meal... ;)
PJ
PS I never freeze mine, cook within a couple of days of the deer going down..
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

kt29

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »
Really late to the party on this thread.  My favorite thing to do with my deer hearts is to pickle it.  First boiled the heck out of the heart.  When cool to touch, thin slice it.  Than prepare a hot pickling  solution.  In a large gallon jar make layers of the heart and sliced onions.  I also like to add any of your favorite peppers for additional flavors.  I usually have extra room in the jar, so I add as many hard boiled eggs as I can.  When jar is full, add the hot pickling solution.  Let it cool, put on a lid and tuck it into the fridge.  Since this heart is prepared in the fall, I let it sit in the fridge till Super Bowl Sunday.  With friends over and a couple of beers, it usually disappears pretty fast.
Terry from North Idaho