Author Topic: Phosphates?  (Read 1879 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Phosphates?
« on: January 31, 2015, 10:12:03 AM »
I was a regular watcher of BBQ Pitmasters when it was on and there was a number of occasions when the contestants would inject with "phosphates".  Other than not sounding good, what is it and what does it do?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DiggingDogFarm

Re: Phosphates?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 01:01:30 PM »
It's used mostly to retain moisture.
~Martin

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 03:42:24 PM »
The hard-core competition folks are looking for any, and all, "legal" advantages to make that one or two bites the judges eat as spectacular as possible; phosphates are one of those tools.  There are several commercially-available competition injections that use them (like FAB-B, which is full of MSG), and are typically pretty pricey.  FAB-B is around $20 for enough to do 3-5 briskets!

Personally, I don't think these "extreme" measures are necessary in our smokers.  Competition, cooking on a hot stick burner?  Maybe so.  Tight, moisture-retaining SI unit?  Not so much.  I think we have better success with our traditional brining/injecting/rub methods, combined with the stellar cooking environment of the SI, to need extreme measures like phosphates.  I like to keep my ingredients natural.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Limey

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 09:21:07 PM »
+1 on natural
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.