Author Topic: SuperBowl Brisket! (First Brisket Attempt)  (Read 17399 times)

rycofit

Re: SuperBowl Brisket! (First Brisket Attempt)
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2015, 04:34:56 PM »
Hopefully not too done DivotMaker!

I'm going to reheat them with ziploc freezer bags placed in boiling water to try and keep them moist and juicy.
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2015, 04:36:08 PM »
8 hours sounds a lot better than 2-1/2! They should be pretty good. I would test your probe at some point when you get a chance. Maybe it was just probe placement that gave you the odd readings. If you have any fatty hunks left over from the point (that any of your "healthy" friends won't eat), check out my post about "brisket bacon" in the Beef section. Let us know how it went.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2015, 04:37:40 PM »
I would be careful with the Ziploc bags. I have reheated in Food Saver Vacuum Sealer bags, but I think the Ziplocs would melt.

Also, you will want to use simmering water. A full rolling boil would probably melt the Food Saver bags too.

I think I would reheat in a crock pot or microwave with a 1/4 cup of water or apple juice.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2015, 04:39:45 PM »
Hopefully not too done DivotMaker!

I'm always surprised that brisket and butts can sometimes take a lot longer than you think. If your probe read 195 (and it is accurate), you should be good.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

rycofit

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2015, 04:41:15 PM »
If not with the ziploc bags would a slow cooker with beef broth work better?  Any other reheating recommendations?
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2015, 04:43:59 PM »
Yes, the slow cooker with beef broth would be a much better choice. Plus, then you can serve it right from the slow cooker as well.

The Food Saver bags are meant to be put in simmering water, but I do not think the Ziplocs are.

Your pics look awesome btw!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2015, 04:44:51 PM »
I think I would reheat in a crock pot or microwave with a 1/4 cup of water or apple juice.

I don't have a FoodSaver (but wish I did and could find a place to store that behemoth), but my preferred method (if you have the time) is to warm in the oven, 250-300 degrees. Wrap tightly in a couple layers of heavy-duty foil, add some apple juice or water to your foil package, place on a sheet pan and let er rip. If it's for halftime, it should be moist and warm by then if you start it before the game. For an earlier superbowl party meal, you might want to warm it at home and toss it into a cooler for transport.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

rycofit

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2015, 05:25:35 PM »
Definitely need a new meat probe.  Currently testing it in a cup of ice water and it is reading 104 degrees F.
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2015, 11:21:41 PM »
I would be careful with the Ziploc bags. I have reheated in Food Saver Vacuum Sealer bags, but I think the Ziplocs would melt.

Also, you will want to use simmering water. A full rolling boil would probably melt the Food Saver bags too.

Full rolling boil don't melt foodsaver bags. Don't ask me how I know. ;-)

But I agree, reheating via slow cooker is the way to go!
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2015, 11:24:13 PM »
Definitely need a new meat probe.  Currently testing it in a cup of ice water and it is reading 104 degrees F.

Did you ever submerge your ET-732 probe in water to clean it? If so, don't do that again as the moisture ruins them. Just something I picked up on via reading. Though with the ET-735 they are creating waterproof probes. Not sure why this wasn't a standard long ago.

Tony from Marion, IA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2015, 12:07:26 AM »

We had someone report a couple of weeks ago that they had a bag leak during a full rolling boil, which is why I suggested a simmer instead of a boil. Fortunately I haven't had any leak yet and have had some at rolling boil too.

But I think it is a good Idea to keep it below a full rolling boil for reheating.

I still love this reheat method!
Gregg - Fargo, ND

rycofit

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2015, 09:23:46 AM »
Despite the incorrect readings on the temp probe it turned out pretty good.  I think it was a little undercooked as the temp probe was reading much higher than it should have.  But warming it up in the slow cooker for a few hours in beef broth helped.  Now I just need to get a new temp probe for next time.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2015, 10:04:10 AM »
I am happy to hear that it turned out (somewhat). I am wondering if one of your probes did not get wet and thus damaged.

I have one that started acting weird like that and eventually died. I always tried really hard not to get it wet, but it is hard sometimes and I think that is what did mine in.

I am waiting for the new waterproof probes to come out. I have been in contact with FireCraft to get a set of the new probes that are coming with the new probes. They are going to be selling the probes too. But they aren't listed on the site yet. Should be coming in the next couple of weeks.
http://www.firecraft.com/product/maverick-et-735-bluetooth-thermometer-black/low-dollar-accessoies
Gregg - Fargo, ND

SconnieQ

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2015, 06:48:26 PM »
You only need to buy a new probe, not a whole unit. I've had probes go bad, no matter how careful I am washing them. A couple backup probes is never a bad idea.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2015, 10:59:26 PM »

We had someone report a couple of weeks ago that they had a bag leak during a full rolling boil, which is why I suggested a simmer instead of a boil. Fortunately I haven't had any leak yet and have had some at rolling boil too.

But I think it is a good Idea to keep it below a full rolling boil for reheating.

I still love this reheat method!

That was me... Wasn't plastic melting but it was a seem splitting open.

Tony from Marion, IA