Author Topic: SuperBowl Brisket! (First Brisket Attempt)  (Read 17397 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: SuperBowl Brisket! (First Brisket Attempt)
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 12:37:44 PM »
I always use a capsized boat.  The goal should be to restrict oxygen to the wood, which causes smolder vs. combustion. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 12:45:40 PM »
One thing I did notice about using the foil boats though, is that I seem to get a longer, more sustained, medium output smoke, which might be good for brisket.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Barrel99

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 10:35:07 PM »
Hey Dave. You mean you put the foil on top?
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 12:54:40 AM »
Hey Dave. You mean you put the foil on top?
Yes sir.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

rycofit

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 12:10:54 PM »
Alright my Packer cut is 9lbs and a little too big for the #1.  Is it best to cut it in half and smoke the two halves or cut off a small piece of the point to get it to fit????
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

SconnieQ

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 01:43:39 PM »
I would cut it in half and do both halves. You can try and separate the point from the flat, cutting at the big line of fat that goes between them. So you'd be cutting at kind of an angle. Or you could just cut straight down, where the point meets the flat from the fat side. In that case, there would be a little of the flat remaining under the point. Put the point on the lower rack, flat on an upper rack. If you have two separate food probes, I would temp them both. Otherwise go by the temp in the flat. You can always put the point in the oven wrapped in foil after you take it out if that piece is not up to 195.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 03:50:39 PM »
Questions:
1. How much wood do you use for a brisket?  5-6 oz. is fine.
2. Water or Apple Juice for moisture in the smoker?  Either.  I use apple juice, but really can't tell the difference in the meat!
3. Is 1.5 Hours per pound what I should be estimating for time?  They can go as high as 2 hrs/lb, but you're safe with that.
4. I am missing anything?  Nope!  Good luck - you have a solid plan, imo! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rycofit

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 07:05:51 PM »
Started the smoke at 3:30pm.  2-1/2 hours later I am getting internal temp readings on the meat of 198 degrees.  I just can't believe that would be correct after 2 hours???
I opened the smoker to check the temp probe and reposition it in the meat.
Any ideas on these readings?

Readings every 30 min
Smoker
171 (After Opening to check probe)

Meat
198 - Before moving probe
183 - After moving probe
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

SconnieQ

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 07:14:58 PM »
Yeah, that can't be right. Not even close. Make sure your probe in stuck in from the side of the flat, not from the top. And the tip is fully buried evenly in the flat. Maybe your probe is not accurate (got waterlogged at the connection during washing, etc.) Do you have another probe? I would yank that probe out and let the brisket keep going, and do a test on it. Plunge into ice water, temp should register around 32 degrees. Boil some water in a pot, and put it in the pot not touching the bottom or sides. Temp should read around 212. Beyond that, I'm stumped. I hope someone else is watching...
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 07:18:23 PM »
In addition, it is just not possible for the meat to register at a higher temp than the smoker temp in 2-1/2 hours...your meat should be fine while you experiment with your probe.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:01:20 AM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

rycofit

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 07:56:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  At this point I am going to turn down the temp a little a let it sit for a few more hours.  I repositioned the probe to see if the original positioning was off.  Fingers crossed for now.

I did cut the point from the flat so I am smoking 2 smaller pieces of meat.....
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

SconnieQ

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 08:00:47 PM »
Still, around 4+ lb each pieces of meat should take much longer than 2-1/2 hours. Go by tenderness if that is the only option.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2015, 02:24:10 PM »
Judd, they're right - no way your readings are right.  Keep the smoker temp at 225; no need to "turn down."  Also, the beauty of a packer cut is it smokes better together.  But, I know that doesn't fit in a #1 (I have one).  When I smoke a packer cut, I cut it in half lengthwise, then put the thick end (with the point) on the lower shelf, and the rest of the flat on the top.  That way, the thinner part is somewhat shielded from the heat. 

What kind of temperature probe are you using?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:26:58 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

rycofit

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2015, 04:13:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice DivotMaker & SconnieQ!  My temp probe is from the Maverick ET-732.  After I repositioned things in the smoker it seemed to sort of readjust but I was still worried my temp readings were off.  I turned the heat down a little on the te p control on top to about 215 and let it smoke for a total of 8 hours.  After this I turned the heat back up to 225 and about an hour later the internal temp probe hit 195 at which time I pulled them out, wrapped in foil and towels and place them in a cooler for 2 hours. Today will be the test after we reheat it.   Attached is a before and after pic.
Fingers are crossed!
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2015, 04:29:03 PM »
They sure look done, Judd!  Let us know how it goes!
Tony from NW Arkansas