Author Topic: Low Salt Rub?  (Read 13325 times)

damnfingers

• USN Retired/Gov't Contractor Retired/Life is good!
Low Salt Rub?
« on: January 19, 2015, 06:47:44 PM »
Normally I like salt but I've tried two rubs (not from this site) and both were far too salty for my taste.  I don't know if it's because they've called for Kosher salt (1/2 cup ea) which my wife says is saltier than regular salt or if I'm just becoming a little less salt tolerant.  In any case I haven't been happy.

Can someone recommend a good rub for pork butt and/or ribs that is less dependent on salt and maybe a bit sweeter than most?  I prefer my ribs dry rather than basted with sauce if that's any help/hinderance.

Thanks in advance.
Gene - Smoke lover from Saucier, Mississippi
Happy owner of SI#2 since Christmas 2014

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Low Salt Rub?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:50:07 PM »
Salt is salt, there is no "saltier salt". Different textures but its the same stuff.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 07:07:53 PM »
If you're measuring by volume the specific salt that you use can make a big difference....a cup of Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt weighs ~180 grams, where as, say, a cup of Morton Canning & Pickling salt weighs ~296 grams...that's a BIG difference.

There's no reason you can't reduce the salt in any rub recipe if it's too much for you.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:10:05 PM by DiggingDogFarm »
~Martin

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 07:13:25 PM »
There's also a difference in brands of Kosher in terms of volume:weight.
~Martin

damnfingers

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 07:26:54 PM »
The Kosher salt I'm using is Morton's...is a very coarse salt.  I'll be happy to tell my wife that "salt is salt" but I may come back to the forum to ask for a black eye remedy.

So there's no real need for a lot of salt?  It's not needed to seal meat during cooking?  Why brine then?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
If someone is averse to salt, for health or other reasons, there are rubs like amazingribs.com's "Memphis Dust," which doesn't contain salt.  I'm not, so those rubs don't interest me.  Yes, to answer your question, I believe salt plays a very important role in meat preparation.  Whether you coat meat in salt, wrap and rest in the fridge overnight, or brine it, it will make a difference in the finished product!  Salt causes a change in the protein molecules near the surface of the meat, that actually causes them to trap moisture inside the meat, thus making it more juicy because it retains that moisture.  Check out http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1504.0 for a more in-depth look at brining, and how it works.

As for types of salt - I'm a fan of Morton's kosher salt, and is pretty much all I use.  But, I also know it is less salt, by volume weight, than table salt or coarse sea salt.  Do a test yourself:  Weigh one cup of kosher salt, one cup of sea salt, and one cup of table salt...you'll see a big difference!  Getting to know how to use a particular salt will help you adjust accordingly for your taste.  Kosher salt is coarse, yes, but much less dense than most coarse sea salts or rock salt, so you won't measure the same.  Weigh salt, don't use a measuring cup, unless it's a proven recipe by someone who knows.

A lot of this question also boils-down to taste.  Cook a piece of meat with no salt, and then cook one with salt.  Which is better?  Salt has been one of the most-common food flavor-enhancers for ions.  Let your own taste be the guide!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 01:42:52 AM »
Jeff Phillip's Naked Rub Recipe has little salt in it and I love the taste. You have to buy the recipe but I think it's a good choice and I'm happy I purchased.  I've made 3 batches of it already.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

damnfingers

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 10:40:48 AM »
TmanEater - I've read about Jeff's recipe and was wondering if it contained salt...happy to hear it doesn't have a lot.  I think I'll experiment a bit more before I spend the money for it - I think I'd like the rubs I've tried IF I cut back on the salt content from a 1/2 cup to a 1/4 cup (or less).  I was under the impression that a lot was needed - maybe in my case "Less" is "More".

Thanks all!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 11:40:16 AM »
TmanEater - I've read about Jeff's recipe and was wondering if it contained salt...happy to hear it doesn't have a lot.  I think I'll experiment a bit more before I spend the money for it - I think I'd like the rubs I've tried IF I cut back on the salt content from a 1/2 cup to a 1/4 cup (or less).  I was under the impression that a lot was needed - maybe in my case "Less" is "More".

Thanks all!

I won't give out Jeff's recipe but I will tell you it's 2 TBS salt per batch. Each batch yields about 2 cups. I would consider that a very low salt content as compared to other recipes out there. Also, I think it is one of the best rubs I've had.

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 09:14:19 PM »
I like Jeff's rub - gotta lot more "oomph" than the Memphis Dust, imo.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

damnfingers

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 04:31:54 PM »
Again, thanks TmanEater - exactly the information I needed.  Believe I'll order it now.

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 07:58:58 PM »
I bit on Jeff's recipe $$, and am OK with it.  The way I see it, he's getting paid to provide the information, but it's also a "one time" deal - for life!  You get his newsletters, and new recipes (or updates) as he makes them, for free.  Not a bad deal, IMO.  I've certainly wasted more money on less! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 08:46:26 PM »
I agree Tony. At first I thought $18 was ridiculous for a "recipe" but I found myself enjoying his website articles and tips so the value started making sense to me the more and more I seen cross references pointing that direction. I believe his tips on making my first Bacon Explosion/Fatty were instrumental in my 1st time success. The suggestions on ziploc baggies made it soooo effortless and clean cut.

Tony from Marion, IA

Barrel99

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Don't hesitate for a second. It is an excellent all purpose rub. I use more sugar and a  bit less salt.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

damnfingers

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 11:44:23 AM »
Ordered it yesterday, trying it this weekend.  By the ingredient quantities it looks like it's exactly what I was looking for.