Author Topic: Small Brikset question  (Read 6406 times)

beckhamk

Small Brikset question
« on: January 18, 2015, 05:47:26 PM »
Today was my 2nd smoke, and I did a 3.5lb brisket. It came out ok - good enough to eat. But it didn't seam to be as tender as I thought it should be.   I had the auber set for 140 for half hour and then 225 for 5.5 hours. Then I let it rest for two hours.  Everything looked great outside inside it looked ok. kinda reminded me of almost well done steak sorta.    I would like some input as to what might have happened.
I don't recall what the fine meat temp was before I pulled it out. So I am not sure if we over cooked this little brisket or if it should have been cooked longer.

thanks for your suggestions.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Small Brikset question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 07:19:04 PM »
What was your final Internal Temp? Was it wrapped and rested,was it moist?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 08:34:36 PM »
Pretty much all of your meats should be cooked to internal temp instead of time except for ribs and appetizers.

My guess is that you over smoked it.

Did you brine or inject? One or both of these options will help with the moisture issues.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

beckhamk

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 05:57:45 AM »
Thanks for the info - we used a rub on it no brine or injection.  I don't recall what the final temp was I think I was just excited to pull it off after 6 hours. I do recall seeing a temp of 181 around the 4-5 hour mark.  I read a lot of posts and  think it could be that I needed to cook it a little longer as my auder probe 2 was hard to remove. I don't think the cell broke down quiet yet and it wasn't cardboard by any means.  Well have to try this again next week.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 07:48:27 PM »
A 3.5 brisket is a tough smoke to get right.  Any little cuts like that are hard.  There just isn't enough mass to make it cook evenly.  You'll find that a larger brisket will be much easier to smoke.  Do you know if it was a brisket flat or point?  That can make a difference, too.  I suspect it was a flat, if it was tough.  The point has more internal fat, and usually cooks more tender.

Next time, try to find a larger brisket (the leftovers freeze well), may experiment with brining or injecting, and watch that internal temp.  IT is everything.  Time means nothing.  If you saw 181 around 4-5 hours, it was probably in a stall.  Next time, take it 195.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 02:00:19 PM »
I, also cooked a small brisket ( flat ) last Thursday along with injecting it and needless to say it turned out very juicy but seemed a bit rubbery or chewier then I wanted  . 
[I[I .............

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 06:28:39 PM »
Actually , to make a long story short.................. everything that was left over from that cook turned into a Fajitas the next day .
[I[I .............

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 06:59:56 PM »
I always cook to an internal temp of 195 - 200, however for a flat I would brine to add moisture. Did you place a plan with liquid at the bottom of the smoker?
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 10:35:09 AM »
I always cook to an internal temp of 195 - 200, however for a flat I would brine to add moisture. Did you place a plan with liquid at the bottom of the smoker?
Yes , I did .
[I[I .............

beckhamk

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 04:44:19 PM »
I have the point and did have a pan of water in the smoker.  I am going all out this weekend and will attempt this with a 12lb packer brisket.  I also got a remote digital thermometer to alert me at certain temps.

beckhamk

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 05:07:48 PM »
Thanks to everyone that had suggestions. I attempted another brisket and it had the wabba wabba!

I think the biggest part was getting the right size brisket first and fore most. I originally bought a 3.5lb brisket and this time got a 12lb and was choice grade, not sure what grade Krogers had on the first brisket.
I also bought a maverick to alert me remotely which was nice. Then I just let that cook for 15 hours until the temp was 195.  I was amazed when I picked it up and pulled the auder/maveric probes out. I knew it had wabba wabba lol.  Everyone enjoyed it and I was a happy camper.

Thanks again!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 05:11:18 PM »
Wabba wabba is a new one to me, but I get the impression that it was good. ;)

Pics?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

beckhamk

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 05:53:47 PM »
have been doing a lot of reading lol..... " If it jiggles, it's probably done, if it seems firm it may need more time.  This is what some pros call the "wabba wabba" point."

Here are some pics

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 05:57:33 PM »
Looks VERY moist! Excellent job!
Gregg - Fargo, ND

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 06:08:50 PM »
I used the toothpick method with my last brisket rather than a specific IT and I think I'll adopt it as my new way to determine correct level of doneness. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah