Author Topic: 1st cook has started - baby backs; wire rack position?  (Read 2315 times)

bbqnewbie

• #2 purchased 1/15
1st cook has started - baby backs; wire rack position?
« on: January 18, 2015, 05:15:20 PM »
They've been on for 1.5 hrs. right now - 235F - one rack cut in half.  I did put them on the 2nd row from the top and reading a little more here perhaps I should open up the door quick (oops!) and put the wire rack on the TOP rack instead of one down??

If anyone is following, I salted them the night before; applied the Memphis Dust seasoning (no salt) I prepared from the recipe here and on the Amazingribs website 2 hours before starting to cook (yes, I used his instructions as it seems he's done so many studies and experiments and others here seemed to recommend his site, too, in addition to SI's site). Used 2.5 oz. of apple wood chunks.  I have a loaf pan touching the smoker pan on the floor filled with apple cider.  I will sauce them at 4 hours and leave for another hour or so - no foil.  Then check for the "break" as a symbol that they are done.

Any remarks/suggestions?

- arline -
Smokin-It #2
Life-long gourmet cook, but never smoked before!  I'm now into my 2nd year of smoking - about 10X per year maximum.
San Diego

Longhornamus

Re: 1st cook has started - baby backs; wire rack position?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 08:20:04 PM »
when I cooked ribs yesterday I used the second and third racks from top and they tuned out good. Mainly did it to make it easier to get the temp probe in a good location. Make sure to post some photos of the finished product. Good luck!
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
I would not open the door. Moving the rack up will not affect the smoke that much. But opening the door could in a negative way.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

bbqnewbie

• #2 purchased 1/15
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 08:31:55 PM »
Okay - couldn't wait any longer for an answer, so I just left them there.  Took out quickly at 4 hrs. and closed door to sauce them in kitchen.  Decided to foil them (I know, I'm chickening out) bec. they didn't seem real tender yet (of COURSE, I had to slice a little piece off the top - like a haircut, right?).  Don't know if I'm going to like the Memphis Dust yet.  Might be different once the sauce has "baked" on and they are more tender.  I WILL take pics.  Thank you all.

- arline -
Smokin-It #2
Life-long gourmet cook, but never smoked before!  I'm now into my 2nd year of smoking - about 10X per year maximum.
San Diego

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 07:36:23 PM »
Sorry I didn't see this in time last night, Arline!  Hope they turned out well!  My advice would have been to leave them where they were.  As for the test for doneness - I guess the "break" means pull back from the bone?  I'm just not familiar with that.  What I do, as learned from pit master Old Sarge, is use a wooden toothpick!  When you stick it in the meat between the bones, you feel how easy it goes in.  If you can pull the meat sideways a little, away from the bone, without breaking the high-tech "rib tenderness sensor," they're done! ;D   If they feel tough, when you pull sideways, leave them for another 30 minutes and check again.  Works every time, like a charm!  I've never had a tough rib yet, using this scientific approach. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!