Author Topic: OKC Newbie  (Read 1872 times)

tall paul

OKC Newbie
« on: January 18, 2015, 12:49:19 PM »
I’m a newbie. Got a model 2 a few weeks ago.  So far, have done a couple of chickens and pork butts. Everybody has been impressed with the results!
Really appreciate this forum and all the great info. I am going to add the Auber PID controller, bypass the analog controller and install the permanent Auber temperature probe.  Initially what I read about the placement of temperature probe was to place it about 3” from the top. I didn’t like that, was concerned about it getting in the way of large cuts of meat. After further research, I think I’m going to place it somewhere between 1” and 1 ¾” from the top.
I was also initially somewhat confused or not clear about the wiring of the bypass switch. I couldn’t wrapped my head around using a DPDT switch, kept thinking it would make more sense to use a SPDT. Rickne’s wiring diagram for his toggle switch bypass illustrated it perfectly.  I’m using the DPDT switch with a switch cover. I haven’t seen any discussion of the need to use high temp connectors. 
I’m also going to shorten the cord length on the smoker. Rather than buying another cord I was going to cut the existing cord and wire a three prong plug on it.
Has anyone tried using 135 degree drill bit for drilling the stainless steel?  Did it seem to work any better? I was also going see if there wasn’t a way to get the smoker cabinet in position to where I could use my floor drill press.
Model #2
Paul from OKC

Longhornamus

Re: OKC Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:32:10 PM »
I cannot help with the drilling but congrats on your smoker and welcome. The folks on here are very helpful so I am sure someone will be along to help!
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 10:12:50 PM »
Welcome from your neighbor to the east, Paul!  Glad to have you with us!  You're definitely off to a good start.  Let me just add you may be making more out of the drilling process than is needed.  I've spent a lifetime drilling holes, and all this takes is a good sharp bit (regardless of angle), some machine oil, and a little muscle!  No need for the drill press - just center punch the hole, brace your smoker (or lay it on its back), and power through it!  No biggie, just don't be shy!  With a 5/16" bit, you're not likely to break it with a little brute force.

Sorry, can't help with the toggle switch question, as I don't have one.  Bypass all the way for me! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 12:19:32 PM »
Welcome and +1 on Divotmaker's comments. The only thing I would add that made it a little easier was to use a smaller bit to punch an initial hole and then the larger bit to expand it. It worked well for me.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN