Author Topic: Beer Can Chicken  (Read 2348 times)

Limey

Beer Can Chicken
« on: January 17, 2015, 10:55:34 AM »
Last night I smoked an 8.5lb chicken in my #3 using similar techniques to oven cooking and it produced a fantastic result.
The chicken was dry brined(external and internal salt and pepper rub) and the following rub applied;
1 tablespoon each of cumin, chili,curry, ground black pepper, brown sugar.
This is a rub that I normally use on pork chops, but was in a hurry and had some of this made up.
A 3/4 full can of beer was inserted into the cavity of the bird and the whole thing placed upright on a 9 inch disposable pie plate, which ultimately caught all of the juices leaving zero cleanup. I know this is not the approved technique but it worked for me, preserving the juices and no additional cleanup.
Smoked with 2.5ozs hickory at 245 degrees until the breast reached 165 degrees then held at 140. Ambient was around 75. I had to go to a meeting so do not know how long the hold was (thank you Auber) but the chicken was distinctly superior to any that I have ever done in the oven. Sorry, no pictures-it was dark when I got home and my wife and I were hungry!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 11:03:55 AM »
I love beer can chicken.  When I take it off the heat and before I serve it, I like to knock the chicken over in a deeper pan and let the remaining beer pour over the meat.  It even further moistens the meat and gives it a little extra beer flavor. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Limey

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 11:36:21 AM »
That's a great idea. I'll try it next time. Thanks Dave.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Limey

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 11:36:50 AM »
Just made chicken salad with the dark meat-chopped up leg meat, sweet onion, celery, raisins, salt, pepper and a little mayo. Nice light smoked flavour. Absolutely delicious!